Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Not able to post comment (Version 2.1a26)

tlleetllee New
edited September 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi,

I'm not able to post comment using the Version 2.1a26 (master version).

Kindly advise, thanks.

Answers

• Attached is my screenshot.

Thanks.

• try adding buttonbar and also see if admin has permission to post comments.
    or its a bug.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Yes, i have enabled the buttonbar plugin. Also, the post comment permission is granted by default for admin. Am i missing something else?

Thanks.

• Defaults can change. You can set your own permissions. no idea, i don't have that version - you have to wait to see if somebody using that version responds.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• However, it's working fine with Version 2.0.18.4.

• I had the same problem. I'm not sure what solved it, but try this:

1. if you have vanilla in a folder (e.g. /forum), make sure you've specified it in .htaccess
    2. enable $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] in your config.php
  • AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭

can you give your url so we can test?

• Several things can cause you issues of not being able to post.

1) permissions set incorrectly.
    2) if you are logged in to two different versions of vanilla with the same browser, occasionally this problem occurs.
    3) if you renamed the folder where the vanilla software is located.

Generally several things can help (with a variety of issues).

clear the ini files out of the cache folder.
    run the utility/update
    disable and reenable plugiins
    sign out of vanilla, close your broser, delete your cookies if necessary.
    re login.

this will solve 99% of your issues, if not all. (assuming there is not a bug in your version).

other problems that people frequently have with things not appearing or showing correctly.

1) set the correct permissions on 775 or (if need be 777) on the uploads folder, the Smarty compile folder and clear the ini files out of your cache.

People also have been mystified by installing themes and plugins.

A zip file is what you download this has to be extracted one way or another when it resides in the plugins or themes folder.

If anybody is unclear follow this thread.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/167634/#Comment_167634

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

peregrine

I've had this same issue for most of the later versions of 2.1

You can create a discussion, but trying to post a comment just creates a copy of the discussion.

It seems odd, because I can't think it is a general problem, or they'd have fixed it, but I haven't done anything different with these installs than with any of my other (successful) ones.

• @whu606

thx for the feedback. I prefaced some of my messages with (if this is not a bug in 2.1) but left it out of some messages. So, it very well could be just later versions of 2.1.

I posted this for general posting issues that I've noted in the past that can also had a layer of problems with multiple versions running on same server.

• tlleetllee New
    edited September 2012

@depaulcz said:
    I had the same problem. I'm not sure what solved it, but try this:

1. if you have vanilla in a folder (e.g. /forum), make sure you've specified it in .htaccess
    2. enable $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] in your config.php

May I know what to specify in .htaccess?
    I have enabled $Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls']>, but getting error below when i try to sign in.
    Not Found
    The requested URL /vanilla2/entry/signin was not found on this server.

• tlleetllee New
    edited September 2012

@Aolee said:
    can you give your url so we can test?

Sorry, I'm hosting the vanilla locally.

• @peregrine said:
    Several things can cause you issues of not being able to post.

Thanks for your suggestion, i have tried and even re-download the source, but still no luck....perhaps need to wait for the next release?