Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Destroyed a completely functional installation trying to upgrade to 2.0.18.4

avantime4mikeavantime4mike ✭✭
edited September 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

In an attempt to upgrade from 2.0.?.? to 2.0.18.4 I have completely messed things up.
I made a backup of my vanilla2 install by renaming the vanilla folder (this is what I did when I upgraded Vanilla 1)
I then copied the folder and named it vanilla again.
I used the "Vanilla-core-2.0.18.4" that I had downloaded to overwrite all the files in the existing Vanilla folder.
Now visitors to my forum get this error message :- "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /homepages/34/d260127691/htdocs/vanilla/index.php on line 48"
To add to the problems I seem to have accidentally deleted my backup folder too.

I have now backed up to a local disk everything that remains of the install except for one file which refuses to download:-
vanilla\logs\traffic.html.md5sums

I assume that as my database should be intact I should be able to restore at least some functionality.

Can somebody please guide me in the right direction preferably using language that an idiot can follow.

Thank you in advance, Mike

Comments

• I should add that following advice from Peregrine I have read through the following discussion and noted the advice:-
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21192

I have not modified any code in the original install (wouldn't know how to)
    I am happy to reconfigure the dashboard when it's all up and running (probably do a better job this time)
    I have a backup of the uploads directory.

• do you have a dump (backup) of your vanilla database and config.php prior to upgrade.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

if so, I can walk you through it if you respond to questions quickly.
    I've got 30-45 minutes.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I don't know how to do a dump of the database and no the backup of my config.php is lost.

• My understanding of the discussion you told me to read is that without the config.php I will need to reconfigure dashboard and addons etc. is that right?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

Well, you are in a rock and a hard place.

you can ask your host provider to restore the database if necessary and also restore you files prior to the attempted upgrade.

you might consider learning how to use phpmyadmin and getting into the habit of backing up your database.

Can you verify if you have a database through phpmyadmin?

• you might take a look at this thread - somewhat related...

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/20866/urgent-help-needed-all-discussions-page-empty/p1

• My forum is hosted by 1and1 it is showing as containing 28.6Mb at present and there is this information on the page:-

Important information regarding usage of the MySQL database:

Please note that the MySQL database may not under any circumstances be used for log evaluation operations (e.g., ivw), ad clicks, chat systems, banner rotations, or similar applications putting extreme loads on the database.
    The MySQL database is stored on a separate database server behind a firewall to protect your data. You can only access this database server and your database exclusively through your site. Direct access to the MySQL database using a home PC (external ODBC connection) cannot be established.
    Please note that a complete PhpMyAdmin directory has to be uploaded in order to guarantee access to the MySQL database.

Doeas that mean anything to you?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

you need a base config.php - that has your password info, database name, etc.

you could create a config.php with the necessary info or

if you do just a basic install from scratch - you have potential of wiping out your database, if you don't get the steps right.

Iwould recommend you back up your database before you do anything because you could make things even worse.

• you are going to have to ask your host about this message you posted.:

Please note that a complete PhpMyAdmin directory has to be uploaded in order to guarantee access to the MySQL database.

I have 5 minutes left to try to answer questions, then i have to go. perhaps somebody else can take over.

• Thank you so much for taking the time to speak to me. I have spoken to my host and they are going to restore the whole site to a saved backup from one week ago. I will then be in a position to carry out the upgrade again. I would appreciate your pointing me to instructions on how to do this correctly this time.

Thanks, Mike

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

Here are the docs.

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/installation-upgrade

there are numerous discussions in the past six months where people did installs differently, if you choose to do it differently. You can search for those via google. I don't have any more links.

Perhaps one of the people who was helped in the past - added better documentation, and gave back to the community by writing up the help they received in the wiki.

good luck

• Thanks again, just have to wait till I'm back on line (could take a few days apparently) I will tread much more caregully in future.

• As soon as your site is back up, make sure you make your own local backups (yes, that is what's meant with a 'dump'). Without backups, do not continue with upgrading.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Thanks Underdog, I intend to do a lot more reading before I pluck up the courage to anything like that again. Thankfully my host had good recent backups and didn't charge to pass them on to me. It was then a simple matter of overwriting everything again and I seem not to have lost anything. The only issue I now have is that previously uploaded images don't display although they are all there.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

@avantime4mike said:

The only issue I now have is that previously uploaded images don't display although they are all there.

Files that have been uploaded are stored in the uploads/FileUpload Directory if you used the fileupload plugin. The links to these files are in the database. I assume the database is intact, so you need to look in the directory to see if you have images still there. Your host provider should have a backup of this directory. Uploads directory are also where user thumbnails and pics are stored.

• That's bizarre, user thumbnails were there immediately after my restore and uploads since the restore have been working too. Following your comment I just went and looked at old uploads and the ones I looked at are now there. Yes I do use the fileupload plugin. Completely confused by that!

• Probably was "caching" in your browser. Sounds like when you went back,and re=looked, you refreshed your page and your images came back. That happens lots after a complete restore. Just another thing to remember when you have techie problems - refresh your page after changes to make sure "ALL" your links, images etc are renewed.