Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Can anyone write a "Badges" plugin for community?

RobenRoben New
edited September 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Can you write a "badges" plugin for the community?

If you ask me for money, of course I'm not a rich man! but It can be gathered from community somewhere like http://www.chipin.com/overview. In this time, we need a volunteer for programming this stuff. Who is ready?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    RobenRoben New
    edited September 2012

no comment! Is it a bad idea?

Plugin can be write in group somewhere like git sites! (I dont know programming but i can donate)

• Options
    KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

It's not that the idea is bad - this has just been asked countless times over and over again so the community is more or less ignoring anything that contains the word "badges". If you were to come up with an actual plan of attack on this specific subject, people might be less reluctant towards the whole "Badges"-thing. Put some money on the table, mention some names, strategies and deadlines as well as a complete description of the project. This:

Can you write a "badges" plugin for the community? [...] I'm not a rich man! [...] we need a volunteer for programming this stuff. Who is ready?

...quite frankly won't get you anywhere. Contact some of the other interested parties, combine forces. I'd be more than happy to help with some UX design if you get this project up and running.

And don't forget: If you really need it that bad, go for a subscription with dedicated hosting. Getting the "Badges"-plugin is as easy as 1, 2, 3 provided you have the coin. If you're interested in contributing an Open Source solution though, I'll refer you to what I wrote earlier.

// Kasper

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

One hundred people contributing $5 for a sponsored plugin (sum $500) , would probably get you a day or less of programming.

if you were exceptionally lucky and got somebody for $25/hour, that would get you 20 hours of work. I'm sure even the developers of vanilla who wrote the plugin and know vanilla inside and out spent many times more than that amount of time on writing the plugin. Seems like the best way to go is host with vanilla if you want badges and reactions.

ask mch_hq - how many hours he spent developing. troubleshooting, and fielding questions for the "simple" sphinxsearch plugin. you might be surprised how many hours it takes to develop things.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    RobenRoben New
    edited September 2012

@kasperisager, I agree to you except:

If you really need it that bad, go for a subscription with dedicated hosting. Getting the "Badges"-plugin is as easy as 1, 2, 3 provided you have the coin

Blasphemy! I'm a server manager, running own server.

ask mch_hq - how many hours he spent developing. troubleshooting, and fielding questions for the "simple" sphinxsearch plugin. you might be surprised how many hours it takes to develop things.

@peregrine, I'm agree to you too.

but, I said "If somebody asks for money", notice to "If"! however it can be done as a fun as well as you develop your plugins for free. I wanted to say: contributing on a plugin.

Ok, forget and sink this thread!

• Options
    KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

Blasphemy! I'm a server manager, running own server.

Whoa, don't get all religious on me! Just kidding, this is exactly why an open source equivalent of "Badges & Reactions" would be super cool. The guys running Vanilla really nailed it when they wrote these two pups: Gamification is a great way to keep users engaged in a community. This is also exactly why they deserve to keep the source closed and benefit from it. They've done a great job and should indeed be rewarded for it.

All hand hoay! Batten down the hatches and prepare for 'dis ship to scuttle!
    Wait, Talk Like A Pirate Day was 2 days ago right? Dang! Anywho, I wouldn't give up so fast - there's a demand for this thing, all we need is someone who can supply. I'm sure this won't be easy though: It's going to require some sponsors and/or contributors as well as someone who can actually write it. Like I said earlier, contact the other interested parties and combine forces.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    edited September 2012

@Roben said:
    kasperisager, I agree to you except:

problem with 'fun' projects is there are few people that will invest 100s of hours of development into a project just for fun.

even folks like myself, who could benefit from the development, know that the cost far outweighs the benefit.

Unless someone steps forward to manage the project, and defines a series of well coordinated statements of work (10hrs or less each) i doubt very much that this will ever go anywhere.

I know how much work it would be just to manage this project, that what i do for a living. I'm not volunteering.