Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Wordpress Plugin - forum doesn't show in page

rawstarawsta New
edited September 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I have WP installed and trying to get vanilla running integrated into WP
i set up a database for each and have Vanilla in a sub-folder.
i'm using my own theme based on the Skeleton Framwork.
My problem is that the Forum show on the page that was created.
Since i have the whole page in my VM i can't give you a link to that page..
maybe someone could give me a hint...

Best Answer

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

the custom page template worked with the twenty ten theme. Looks weird because of some margins.. but that's my problem :) The embedding works fine so far. Maybe it would be good to include that info into a FAQ or a Wiki.. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

great idea. you can add what you think is appropriate to the wiki.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

Answers

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff
    edited September 2012

I take it you're embedding Vanilla into Wordpress? If so, I can recommend wrapping it instead (http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/137406/#Comment_137406). Does the SSO work like it's supposed to and what about the Wordpress widgets that comes with the Vanilla plugin?

By the way, I really gotta get some sleep now so I'll return tomorrow.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• rawstarawsta New
    edited September 2012

i tried wrapping.. and probably messed up my theme..
    the SSO and the widgets seemed to work just fine..
    maybe i just try a complete new install and try if it works there..

• rawstarawsta New
    edited September 2012

Ok.. don't know why.. but i still can't get it running..
    WP runs fine... VF runs fine..
    Both with a complete fresh install..
    except the WP plugin.
    Widgets work and show up the right data.
    enviroment is a simple debian with the basics in my VM
    everything is up to date and i have no idea what's wrong...
    The content is just missing...
    right after the menu comes the footer..

Have you tried using the embed code generated by Vanilla instead of the code generated by Wordpress? For some reason they sometimes aren't consistent.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited September 2012

I've seen vanilla embedded in WP work WITHOUT the statements below, and I've also seen it NOT work without the following statements in /conf/config.php.

maybe version related.

If you don't have these in your config.php - its worth a try.

$Configuration['EnabledPlugins']['embedvanilla'] = 'embedvanilla';

// adjust this to your remote url  discussions-2  may be discussions-3 or something else.
    $Configuration['Plugins']['EmbedVanilla']['RemoteUrl'] = 'http://www.yoursite.com/discussions-2/';

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• it works when i add the vanilla embed code to the header.php of wordpress..
    but the forum shows above the whole site.
    it's new that i now have an embed-template page
    i tried to make another custom page template, which didn't work so well.

@peregrine: i found both lines in the config.

No wonder the forum shows above your site - you put the embed code in the header.php file. Put it directly in the content area of the page instead.

• yep.. that was my second attempt. as i mentioned above i made a custom page template for embedding which broke the whole site.
    Maybe the twenty-eleven theme is too complex.. i try it with a minimal theme which has only the basics in it...

• the custom page template worked with the twenty ten theme. Looks weird because of some margins.. but that's my problem :) The embedding works fine so far. Maybe it would be good to include that info into a FAQ or a Wiki..
    thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

the custom page template worked with the twenty ten theme. Looks weird because of some margins.. but that's my problem :) The embedding works fine so far. Maybe it would be good to include that info into a FAQ or a Wiki.. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

great idea. you can add what you think is appropriate to the wiki.

• not sure if i found the right wiki. and there was no section for the plugin..
    i attached the custom page template as .txt
    It's not a big thing but should work for nearly every theme.
    maybe someone could add it to the appropiate sectionb of the wiki.