Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

What is the recommended release download?

erichierichi New
edited September 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I just discovered Vanilla, and have been testing it out over the last few days.

I started with the identified latest stable version 2.0.18.4, but I noticed that it had several bugs. I reviewed the source over at github, and found the bugs to be fixed in the master branch. This seemed consistent with the github description:

The master branch of the vanillaforums repository will always contain our latest production (release) code. It should be the most stable source code you can download from us, but also the oldest.

I started over on my test box using the latest code found in github's master branch. This does indeed fix the bugs in 2.0.18.4. However, forum comments are completely broken in this branch when Javascript is enabled on the client.

Is there a better branch to be testing out?

Comments

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited September 2012

The current stable version is the one they have for download here:

http://vanillaforums.org/download

As far as I know that is 2.0.18.4

• Options

The site's download is version 2.0.18.4, which as I mentioned, is buggy (it throws PHP errors). In a way, the github master branch is better, except for its problems. It certainly isn't stable/production/release quality code as described.

• Options

It certainly is. The version whu606 linked you is definitely stable. If it throws PHP errors, then either your configuration is wrong or you should post which alerts are thrown.

• Options

Perhaps there is no better download...

If I opt to go forward with Vanilla, then I will either cherry pick the fixes in the master branch that are needed for version 2.0.18.4, or work on repairing the comment system Javascript layer in the master branch.

The github README.markdown should really be updated to correct the quote that I cited in the original post. It is misleading.

• Options

Ok, let's clarify a few things. First. Read this please : http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19820/vanilla-forums-git-branching-model now, figure out why you need fixes for 2.0.18.4 while every single other user is either on the actual 2.0.18.4 version or they're trying out the develop version, which is the 2.1 release our vanilla developers are working on.

You still haven't clarified which PHP errors you are getting and until those are known to this forum, we will be running around in circles.

If you wish to fix something, for example the javascript comment system layer (and it's still broken in the develop branch) just contact one of the developers, they will probably receive your help with open arms. I'll mention @Lincoln just to verify these facts and see if he can help...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

Thanks for the reply.

I am not trying to lead anyone in circles. I am new to Vanilla, just trying to learn how it works and evaluate its basic functions. I wanted to do this using the most stable version. I started with version 2.0.18.4. I didn't keep notes on my specific errors, but when I traced the source on github, the fixes were clearly already in the master branch.

Based on the README.markdown ("the most stable source code you can download from us"), I went ahead and upgraded my install to the master branch version. This took some time and research (turns out that the GDN_User table has to be manually updated). There were still problems (such as with comments) after finally completing the upgrade manually. Eventually, I just reset everything and started fresh with the master branch. The problems remained.

At the end of the day, my issue seems to boil down to the github README.markdown description of the master branch. It seems to have led me into the wrong "Garden."

• Options

Working my way backwards through releases. This 2.0.18 update breaks the dashboard controls for registration. Not sure why it was submitted to the 2.0.18 branch. I continue to be confused by the github content for Vanilla.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited October 2012

@erichi

Why not leave github alone, and download the current stable version from here, and make a clean install?

If it then throws problems for you, post up the errors.

It should be clear to you by now that 2.0.18.4 is perfectly fit for use, and that the problems you are encountering are more likely due to your setup than inherent faults in Vanilla.