Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can I Ban a User by IP Address?

RajioRajio
edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I know I can ban a certain user, but can I ban their IP to try and prevent that same person from just creating a new account?

Best Answer

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

Yes you can ban user by IP address. Go into your dashboard and look for Ban List. Add a ban, select ip address as the type and you're off to the races.

We've seen the case where a troll keeps getting through over and over the IP ban works well. More determined trolls will register under different IP addresses, but they will most likely be in the same range. You can add a ban in the form of '123.123.123.%' to add a wild card to the end.

As human note. Once someone is identified as an irredeemable troll to your site I highly recommend not engaging with them again. Just ban them and if they get back into your site ban them again. Never respond to them in any way. If the email you ignore them. We've seen time and time again that trolls will respond to any communication, good, bad, whatever.

Answers

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

Yes you can ban user by IP address. Go into your dashboard and look for Ban List. Add a ban, select ip address as the type and you're off to the races.

We've seen the case where a troll keeps getting through over and over the IP ban works well. More determined trolls will register under different IP addresses, but they will most likely be in the same range. You can add a ban in the form of '123.123.123.%' to add a wild card to the end.

As human note. Once someone is identified as an irredeemable troll to your site I highly recommend not engaging with them again. Just ban them and if they get back into your site ban them again. Never respond to them in any way. If the email you ignore them. We've seen time and time again that trolls will respond to any communication, good, bad, whatever.

• both good tips. thanks a lot.

• jspautschjspautsch Themester ✭✭✭

Speak of the devil.

• I guess the spam filter isn't working perfectly ;)

• Unfortunately IP ban does not work on my forum. Trolls connect themselves smoothly even by banned IP. Do you have a check list to suggest me? Thanks in advance.