Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Setup Vanilla + import some data

edited April 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hello all,

I'm BrandNew and this is my first post at Vanilla but i hope to be very active on this community when things go very well.

I have been building lots of WordPress websites in the past and WP is my number one CMS. I have never build an online community before but i do have build a few bbPress forums in the past on my lochalhost just to learn and see how things work.

I'm very happy the way bbPress is going but i still think it is missing lots of functions i hope to find inside Vanilla.

Customizing WordPress, bbPress and Vanilla will probably not be the problem i do have HTML and CSS skills, i just need plugins or add-ons for features like PM, Ratings and stuff like that those are the things i can't build from scratch and are still hard to find on bbPress.

Coming to the point why i made this topic...

Is there a default import file for Developers to use?
At some Open Source products there is an import file that adds some basic-/default content like 25 Users, 50 Discussions and a few Categories to work with?

Or do i really have to write and add some content to test my community?

Thanks,

Best Answers

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

Shmoo said:

At some Open Source products there is an import file that adds some basic-/default content like 25 Users, 50 Discussions and a few Categories to work with?

Thanks,

great idea - i could use one too.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

Shmoo said:

The dummy file is a bit hidden in the documentation, but it was mentioned here:

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/themeguide/arsenal

Direct link to file:
    http://vanillaforums.com/blog/dummyvanilla.zip

Maybe you guys are up for developing a new import file if this one isn't sufficient enough?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Answers

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    Answer ✓

Shmoo said:

Thanks,

great idea - i could use one too.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    Answer ✓

Shmoo said:

The dummy file is a bit hidden in the documentation, but it was mentioned here:

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/themeguide/arsenal

Direct link to file:
    http://vanillaforums.com/blog/dummyvanilla.zip

Maybe you guys are up for developing a new import file if this one isn't sufficient enough?

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012

thanks. i didn't try it. But I'll probably opt to delete any changes to the permissions table :).

However it only has about five entries to the discussion table. and a few users, but its a start.

btw, Your signature lost its links underdog - I'm sure you noticed.

• Options
    UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited April 2012

Yes, the entries in the dummy file are mostly for styling purposes, not development purposes.

We could do something in a new extra dummy file with permissions, users, etc. (disney figures as users?)

And I noticed my links have disappeared in my siggy, yes. I'll take care of it tomorrow.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2012

I think if a developer did a standard new installation.

then could import a few tables...
    just a few tables with a few users, a few categories, and lots of discussions and comments attributed to members would do the trick so the paging would get triggered. No altering of any permissions :).

• Options

Thanks for pointing to this file..

It works perfect, just a bit of content but enough for now.

• Options

I've tried to import the dummy content, but I keep getting this error: "Sorry, no account could be found related to the email/username and password you entered." What user name and password should I be using to import? I tried using my own like it says in the read me file, but that didn't work. Thanks in advance for any help.

• Options

first install vanilla 2.0.18.4

then use the same password and user you used to install vanilla when you enter or mysql or phpmyadmin to import.

then import into the vanilla database you used.

if you have prefixes on tables e.g. GDN_Activity

you may need to modify dummy.txt to reflect the correct table names with prefixes.

its actually not too big a database and not much more complicated then the above.

• Options

Thanks, peregrine. Problem resolved, but now I feel like a "dummy". The user name and password are right there in the read me file. I skipped over them to get to the numbered steps. The password is, appropriately, dummy (user name dummy@vanillaforums.com).