Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

StopForumSpam - Reviving Users *bonks*

phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
edited October 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi everybody,

StopForumSpam is a cool plugin to get rid of most of the bots registering on my board. Works that way and puts them on a list.
Also sometimes it goes wrong and puts real registering users on the list. No problem so far because you can revive that and mark them as "Not Spam".

But when doing so the content of the Javascript popup where the confirmation dialog seems to appear, just loads our popular bonk site. This addon is approved and maybe needs a little love to make that working again. Because now you don't have a chance to revive regular users fallen into the spam filter.

Anyone managed to find a workaround.

Thanx

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
  • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

Comments

• Options

Post the details of your bonk error and the details of your Vanilla version please.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options
    lamentlament
    edited October 2012

Hi Todd,

I haven't installed this yet.

I'm set to Registration: Approval and I'm still seeing bots show up as Confirm Email. Will this plugin help?

Thanks!

• Options

@lament said:
    Hi Todd,

I haven't installed this yet.

I'm set to Registration: Approval and I'm still seeing bots show up as Confirm Email. Will this plugin help?

Thanks!

you might try the botstop plugin as well and read the comments here with associated links
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21349/bonk-when-trying-to-register

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I did, but it bonks when I activate it. :/

• Options

@lament said:
    I did, but it bonks when I activate it. :/

well, it could be because you didn't follow the instructions. And you should find out how to display error messages (when you get bonk). That's what the the search box is for as well as the documentation.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭

there is a discussion regarding your bonk with botstop. it is pretty visible on the botstop plugin page

• Options

Thanks guys.. I implemented @peregrine's changes and it's working.

One more thing.. for those that are sneaking into my user list under Confirm Email without me approving them, there's no chance of them gaining access, correct? How do I stop these accounts in the first place?

Thanks again..

• Options

change your registration to approval.

• Options

My registration has been set to approval since I got the forum up and running.

It's small enough that I know that the users under Confirm Email I have not approved (obvious spam emails like webmaster@wheretobuynexus7.org, for example).

• Options

My registration has been set to approval since I got the forum up and running.

It's small enough that I know that the users under Confirm Email I have not approved (obvious spam emails like webmaster@wheretobuynexus7.org, for example).