HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Opinions on this theme?

edited August 2012 in General Banter

I've been designing this theme....it's my first spin at vanilla so i thought it would be great to ask for you opinions :)
Here is a pic straight from my photoshop

Tagged:

Comments

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

That is just... wow! Adorable!

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

but i don't think the community is really enthusiastic about this stuff....coz you are the only one who shared his opinion

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

Don't be disheartened.

Another thing, although you showed a "snapshot" of one page on your theme, it is not the same as providing a link to a working theme.

Maybe you could post a few free themes and then see what the response is, to see if its worth your while.

Feedback on your theme - the display of date is unique and pretty cool, however on most forums the date display is going to be pretty much the same date if you forum gets any posts at all, which renders the uniqueness not so unique, and then the time comes into play to add the uniqueness.

Even for things that are free - there is usually not much feedback - for much of anything unless somebody wants a mod or somebody wants to solve something that they broke on their site and once in a while you get a thank you or someone clicks the awesome button or the insightful button.

There are a few notable exceptions (e.g. kaspers's theme and x00's plugins and a few other ones, forgive me if Ieft you out).

You have to realize - on most forums there is not much positive feedback.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@pixelmonkey

This isn't a community as such, tbh.

It is mostly a space where Vanilla users can ask questions about how to make changes to the basic product, and then mostly disappear again until the next problem.

You won't get much of a response, and even less thanks.

That's just how it is.

I've had a theme downloaded over 400 times, and received precisely 1 comment thanking me.

I stay on here because I get help whenever I need to know something, and so feel I should give something back where I can.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited August 2012

@whu606 said

I stay on here because I get help whenever I need to know something, and so feel I should give something back where I can.

excellent! A subliminal statement to others who ask questions

BTW - I think @422 coined the phrase here "Grab and Run" for the technique of asking a question, never trying to help someone else and not coming back till the next unsolveable question that arose for you and you wanted it answered for free :).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited August 2012

This forum is predominantly geared towards free stuff.

The way to do it, is dont ask for opinions. Just do it, and then sit it out lol. Looks like real eye candy, and vanilla deffo is ideal for custom stuff.

Bit of a shame it isnt pushed more, by the management like other systems around the web..so your kinda on your own and left to your own devices.

Good luck.

If its any consolation, i am moving away from vanilla for some of the above reasons, so at this point in time its an ideal time to move into custom stuff.

Just a shame vanilla themselves dont capitalise on the talent on here, and exploit it commercially.

But you will figure it out. Ste

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• 422 said:
    This forum is predominantly geared towards free stuff.

The way to do it, is dont ask for opinions. Just do it, and then sit it out lol. Looks like real eye candy, and vanilla deffo is ideal for custom stuff.

Bit of a shame it isnt pushed more, by the management like other systems around the web..so your kinda on your own and left to your own devices.

Good luck.

If its any consolation, i am moving away from vanilla for some of the above reasons, so at this point in time its an ideal time to move into custom stuff.

Just a shame vanilla themselves dont capitalise on the talent on here, and exploit it commercially.

But you will figure it out. Ste

I see. I think premium skins are best for commercial softwares only.
    Free forum users usually expect free stuff (not always though)

• fh111fh111 Vanilla Padawan ✭✭

i love the cleanliness of it. very cool theme!

• Nice work Tushar. Loving the subtle pattern on the header.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Very nice. Try and make the padding on the announcement and category tags the same.

• I do agree with Todd, would be nice the same padding on the annoucement and category tags.

• announcement*

• Really a shame to see great themes like this never become available due to general apathy around here. Incentives need to be put in place to get people excited to develop and design for the Vanilla package.

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

lovely. However some more contrast will make it better.

There was an error rendering this rich post.