Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

My Categories show as additional items in the main menu, not a drop-down of Discussions

edited March 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Instead of showing categories as a drop-down from Discussions as shown in the screen caps, my categories show as additional items in the main menu following an ->All Categories item. What am I doing wrong?

Answers

• Oh, do you have a screenshot of your problem?

Which browser are you experiencing this with? FireFox?

Do you have JavaScript enabled?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Oh, do you have a screenshot of your problem?

Yes, though I'm not entirely sure how to upload it. It looks like the following:
    Discussions Activity ->All Categories General [0]... followed by each category in turn, followed by Mark All Viewed
    You can see for yourself if if you navigate to disciplesnet.org/vanilla

Which browser are you experiencing this with? FireFox?

All of them :) Chrome, Safari, Firefox, IE

Do you have JavaScript enabled?

Yes.

• I am having the same issue, also with all browsers. However, I'm using the current build of Vanilla 2.1, so you might not have tested it with that.

• You are doing nothing wrong, I think it is the case that the plugin was developed some time ago. I would contact @oliverraduner the plugin developer.

grep is your friend.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

This Plugin works as intended, great idea !

• the plugin works fine. its your theme. if you use the standard theme by Mark O'Sullivan everything works. just tried it out.

• I also have the same problem. I have slightly modified the embed theme to adapt the forum to my site layout. What should I do to make the plugin work.

@ragdoll

Ok so what you are saying is that you have an embed friendly theme embedded, that is the problem these dropdown plugins use a jquery method to create the drop down. It does not work on mobile and on embed friendly .

If you want a drop down to work on these you must create it using css alone.

• You could also have another option for categories

set this in your config and you will get a Category tab.

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Categories']['ShowTabs'] = TRUE;

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @vijvlinder
    No, I am using the embed friendly theme because I started customizing it and didn't want to redo the work.
    However, in the end I decided not to embed the site, because of many little problems it gave.

Does the embed friendly theme disable jquery in some way, even when it is not embedded?

The site is at http://www.fotocomefare.com/forum-fotografia

• @peregrine
    Thanks so much, didn't know that. Is this property documented?
    How could I have found it out by myself?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

Does the embed friendly theme disable jquery in some way, even when it is not embedded?

it doesn't touch jquery per se, the theme loads no additional jquery nor does it remove any.

However, when embedding vanilla (using any theme) in anything (e.g. wordpress), javascripts are added.

The EmbedFriendly theme just means it looks "good" when it is embedded.

It should not misconstrued with embedding.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• It does not seem to be documented well. There should be clear official documentation for things like this.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

@ragdoll

@peregrine Thanks so much, didn't know that. Is this property documented?

How could I have found it out by myself?

by exploring the code and below is a clue, and grinding away at things :) and patience :) and endurance :).

I was going to make a list but here's how.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/171978/#Comment_171978

if someone wants to make a list and clean it up

@GaryFunk - have your minions completed the list for the wiki.

@Shadowdare
    It does not seem to be documented well. There should be clear official documentation for things like this.

another good project for the wiki - as you can see from the responses it may not get documented officially.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/171978/#Comment_171978

• @peregrine, thanks for the link! That clears things up.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Confirmed, this plugin sadly does not work with the EmbedFriendly theme (even when not embedded).

It'd be most useful on Mobile, but apparently doesn't work there either.

This is incompatible with tpl based themes. It has nothing to do with embedding. Simply that smarty and jquery don't like each other too well.