HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Best web hosting for self-hosted Vanilla

Currently, I use a reseller package to host my site. This is mainly as I've created sites for customers and thought there would be no need for anything too big for my site, it made sense to launch it on that. Sadly, though space and bandwidth are no object, processing power and memory on such a shared server can easily become strained.

Faced with the threat of onlyanexcuse.com being pulled offline as it hogged the server's resources (I have 12 sites on there, goodness knows how many others there are on other people's reseller packages), I stripped the site down. I was told that some pages were loading twice (identified as Vanilla embedded comments on Wordpress) and resources were restricted. In December 2010 the site was offline for a week due to the same issue.

I removed the "test" forums/blogs i'd added, removed Vanilla comments and Wordpress multisite, then Wordpress completely. So right now we're just sitting with a forum, and CloudFlare was added.

I've been shopping around and looking for something to put the site onto. Ideally, i'd like a hosting package which can scale as the site does. I'm in the UK so ideally something UK-based. And of course, won't have problems running both Vanilla and Wordpress.

Any advice on reputable hosting companies? I've seen a few which offer great prices but want you tied into a year/two years's contract with a doman (which I don't need). Ideally something paid monthly too.

Tagged:

Comments

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

I dont know the best ones but please dont go for powweb. My high traffic blog has no problem there but low traffic vanilla forum becomes offline sometimes.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Sounds like you need a dedicated server. You could run your clients sites on it and the revenue you make would offset the cost of the server and you would have all those extra resources for your own site. My arrangement is somewhat custom and a bit more expensive than usual but a buddy of mine swears by host gator.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

I run self hosted on my own dedicated hardware. Two Dell PowerEdge 840s. Thats more than enough HP to run a few forums, web sites and a couple Wiki's. I don't have the reliability of a dedicated data center with redundant power and ISP lines, but it suits my small set of customers.

• I've found TSO to be excellent, super fast customer service and infinitely scalable packages. I don't have anything to do with them, just a happy customer.