Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Cannot scroll forum using embedded themes

Total novice when it comes to this sort of stuff, but having settled on Vanilla as the source of our internal forum, I have run into a bit of a wall.

It is highly desirable for the forum to be embedded within our website rather than re-directing but having successfully set up the forum and used the embed theme, I find that the forum only displays a portion of the whole page and cannot be scrolled up and down. At the moment I am only testing it all on the local machine, so the site is not live yet but I don't suppose that is an issue in itself?

If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. As I am new to all of this, it would be nice if people were gentle with me! I'm happy to respond to any queries as best I can.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options

I've seen this happen on old browsers particularly with ie.

Also, I found timing problems for a custom thing I did and had to do this:

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/162440/#Comment_162440

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options

I'm trying it in IE9, IE9 compatibility mode, IE7 and Chrome - all with the same-ish result. I've amended the following line in embedvanilla\remote.js:

191 document.write('

');
    return this;

and amended 'scrolling="no" to "yes"

This gave me a scroll bar in everything except Chrome, but it still wouldn't scroll the whole page - only a bit of it.

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

like I said my solution was to make the change above. changing scrolling won't help anything since it has computed the incorrect height.

you might also see if you have the most recent version of remote.js available. by browsing the github or the downloads.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited December 2012

Normally, scrollbars appear in an iframe when the content is larger than the iframe.
    when you don't determine a height for the embedded object in this case it is an iframe or the height is longer than the content it won't show, you need to tweak the height and width of the embedded object. You can change this in the embed vanilla plugin remote.js as was stated above by peregrine , but to a certain point before you need to alter the css of the embed theme to fit the place you are putting it in..

You can also further change the size of the embed object itself in css using

iframe#vanilla{width:850px;height:1500;overflow:auto;}

or overflow-y: scroll;(firefox) or overflow: scroll;

In your style sheet from where you embedded the forum.

If you use WP then you put the css code in your theme for WP.

The iframe scrolling attribute is not supported in HTML5. Use CSS instead.

Also the iframe is only the container of the embed object. the original object is composed of the css, php, js html, unlike a flash object which you can't alter the size of the content itself to fit the box, you can however alter the content to fit the box but you need to do it within the content style itself. There are many ways to do this, if you use for example:

max-width:500px; but the content is wider, a bottom scrollbar will appear....

this might help

http://xme.im/css-overflow-strict-how-to-display-horizontal-or-verticle-only

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

edited out.

• Options

well, I suppose that would depend on the actual problem of the OP and since

@toweliechaos said:
    Total novice when it comes to this sort of stuff,

If anyone has any ideas, they would be greatly appreciated. As I am new to all of this, it would be nice if people were gentle with me! I'm happy to respond to any queries as best I can.

Thanks!

This means
    a. they are a total novice to 1. css or 2. vanilla or 3. embedding
    or
    b.they are a total novice in general, so I tried to cover anything related to the experience of embedding objects.

My experience with embedding the default vanilla embed theme was similar when doing it in a FB page , the size is wrong and adjustments needed to be made resulting in a new embed theme to fit the purpose. If any info I provided is incorrect or incomplete please do correct me. Not sure what you mean about the red herring..lol

:)

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

well, I suppose that would depend on the actual problem of the OP and since

true.

I reread your message @vrijvlinder. no problem, you presented additional info for what worked for you. I posted what worked for me and why (timing issue when retrieving info for data for embed resulting in computation with unknown and incorrect height and size of embedded data which defaults to minimum height, particularly in older remote.js and possible with latest remote.js). I'm out of this discussion anyway. I leave it in your hands....

• Options
    edited December 2012

well I think we both covered the possible angles and provided good help, you always do and that's a fact. Maybe I should keep it short but I find it hard because I don't know what level of knowledge in the subject they really are at. I was a school teacher at one point maybe it hasn't washed off yet lol !

• Options

Thanks for the help.

I've amended the file using the link peregrine suggested and it seems to have worked.

And for the record, it is total novice in 1, 2 and 3 but not b. ;)