Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Edit Default email message

I need to edit the default e-mail message so I can add a header that says "DO NOT RESPOND TO E-MAIL". As I am getting a lot of bounce back e-mails from people thinking they can just send an email off and it goes to that recipient.

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

what have you found in the search results? with respect to email defintions and documentation and modifying definitions?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I couldnt understand any of it.. That's why I posted this question, maybe someone could dumb it down for me.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited December 2012

lol this gets asked a lot, this link can help know what not to do and what to do.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/171340/#Comment_171340

There is no real way of dumbing it down, it is already as simple as it could be as I found out myself. But you just need to put in the effort to get it down.

• So it's basically a $definition that I have to add to local? But how to do I know what definition to add in there? I'm a real noob to this stuff here I guess...

• Like where it says "USER sent you a message in the e-mail, shouldnt there be a line somewhere where that wording is at so I can just change that? Do I really need to add a new definition?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

what is the exact wording? of the message and you could get a clue as to which definition you need to change.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited December 2012

@guns think of a definition as a label in your language, a locale has to do with the location language you might use.

You can change any definition by adding your change to the forum/config/locale.php

$Definition['EmailFooter'] = 'Have a great day!, Please DO NOT RESPOND TO E-MAIL';

you can find the definitions in the:

/forum/applications/dashboard/locale/en-CA/definitions.php

copy the ones you want to alter into the forum/config/locale.php

shouldnt there be a line somewhere where that wording is at so I can just change that?

The place where they are located is not advisable to change it there because the changes in those files get updated and would be lost. Trust me ;)

adding a new $Definiton in the forum/config/locale.php is the way to go.

"But there are no $Definitions in the forum/config/locale.php"? That is because you are supposed to add them in there as you see fit.

• Wow, I am having one heck of a time with this.. I put this line:
    $Definition['EmailFooter'] = '****DO NOT RESPOND TO E-MAIL****';
    in the config/locale.php and it still says "Have a great day!" in the e-mail footer.
    So I changed the $Definition in the en-CA/definitions.php file and it still says "Have a great day".... I have no clue what I am doing wrong here.. I've changed the wording, FTPed the new files but it hasnt changed that wording yet!... This should not be this hard....

edited December 2012

@guns

you put the stuff in forum/config/locale.php

$Definition['EmailFooter']='****DO NOT RESPOND TO E-MAIL****';

(notice above: NO Spaces inBETWEEN)
    You also could place them in en-Ca/definitions.php but you need to enable that from the dashboard and follow the instructions.

edited December 2012

here are some more $Definitions pertaining to the emails.

$Definition['EmailNotification']='%1$sFollow the link below to check it out:%2$sHave a great day!';
    $Definition['EmailStoryNotification']='%1$s%3$s---Follow the link below to check it out:%2$sHave a great day!';
    $Definition['EmailInvitation']='Hello!;
    $Definition['EmailHeader']='Hello {User.Name}!';

• Thanks for the reply!
    I've tried everything under the sun to try and make this work. Can I have someone come over to my site and help me out? It just will not work! I've updated everything I could think of updating with the definition message and it just will not work... It's getting VERY frustrating! Please let me know.

• gunsguns New
    edited January 2013

This is what my config/locale.php looks like:

<?php if (!defined('APPLICATION')) exit();

$Definition['EmailFooter']='****DO NOT RESPOND TO E-MAIL****';

• This is what I am trying to do, here's an image of the current e-mail, and what i'd like:

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2013

you've finally replied to my comment of December 16th - congratulations.

cut and paste these in conf/locale.php and post your results in an image as above.

$Definition['EmailNotification'] = '%1$s

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL

Follow the link below to check it out:
        %2$s

Have a great day! DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL';

$Definition['EmailStoryNotification'] = '%1$s

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL

%3$s

---
        Follow the link below to check it out:
        %2$s

Have a great day!  DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL';

• Lord thank you! That finally did the trick... Sorry for the confusion, I thought I actually answered the question you asked right before the question you posted back on the 16. Where I said "USER sent you a message" in the email... Sorry for the confusion and thanks again.. that was a heck of a hassle!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited January 2013

Lord thank you!

no need to call me Lord, no problem.

You could have also tried the other things under the sun that @vrijvlinder supplied http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/172546/#Comment_172546 and you would have also been on your way. But you bit on a red herring (ie.EmailFooter) because you were not specific.

I thought I actually answered the question you asked right before the question you posted back on the 16. Where I said "USER sent you a message" in the email...

Actually I keyed in on the answer from everything BUT "USER sent you a message" , which didn't provide much of a clue. images and more details always help.

I think the whole Email definitions grouping need a total overhaul for ease and clarity of changing things.

edited January 2013

ahaha yea @peregrine , Don Peregrino=Lord Peregrine so.... D:

you bit on a red herring (ie.EmailFooter) because you were not specific.

Yea I only supplied that as an example of how to change a definition not as the definite definition under the sun lol ...

• @vrijvlinder

I think @guns is living under a different sun then you @vrijvlinder otherwise @guns would have tried your suggestion in changing the definitions for
    EmailNotification and EmailStoryNotification