Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How do I get reactions/badges in 2.1a33?

How do I go about enabling reactions/badgets in 2.1a33 in the same way you get in these forums? Thanks!

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@jamescrowley

A search of the forum for reactions/badges would have brought up the answer.

They are only available on plans hosted by Vanilla.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

@whu606

As whu606 has been pointed out "No"

To further this discussion on -

Should a question that has been asked several billion times even be answered again on this forum.??? thoughts....

I have to wonder about people who ask this question. Do they have an agenda to point out something, or do they truly not know how to use the search button.

In either case

if it is agenda

it has been responded to,

If it is due to inability to use the search function

then documentation for how to type words in a search box is necessary.

I like to think that someone running their own forum - understands the concept of searching before asking a question - as well as reading the information on "how to Ask a question".

Perhaps the answer is - if you (the responder) can find the answer using the words the people ask in the question via the search box, is it even worth responding to. It might lead to more intelligent thought out questions in the future for the good of the forum and cut out on the duplication.

Fire away...

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• For the record, I have no agenda. I was searching the forums via google rather than directly with a variety of what i thought were relevant keywords. Hence the question. Since your comments I have discovered the threads you mention, had I found these I would have saved my breath. There is no conspiracy here, just someone new to vanilla who didn't appreciate there were any differences between what is available on the hosted and self hosted versions. My mistake.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

glad you sorted it out.

http://vanillaforums.org/search?Search=reactions+badges

It may not be "self-evident" to some but the distinction

and open source downloadable version
    use vanillaforums.org
    questions for open source downloadable version should be posted to vanillaforums.org . If you are reading this then you are on vanillaforums.org

the hosted version
    use vanillaforums.com
    questions for hosted version should be posted to this site. vanillaforums.com

Here is a tip for googling:

for open source version (.org)

http://www.google.com/search?&q=site:vanillaforums.org+badges+reactions

for hosted version (.com)

http://www.google.com/search?&q=site:vanillaforums.com+badges+reactions

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @whu606 I genuinely appreciate your succinct response in both answering my question and pointing out it was a FAQ. Thank you.
    @peregrine Clearly if I had searched on those terms I would not have asked the question. For the record, I believed it was something specific with the 2.1a33 release which was what had thrown me off. Thanks for your understanding.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@jamescrowley

Sorry if the replies seem 'snippy' but it isn't personal, but rather an overall attempt to get users to start their search for answers with the Vanilla search box.

There are a few very regular users, such as @peregrine, who give up a lot of time to try and help Vanilla users.

He's really very nice and helpful!

(Just don't ask about the Bonk message...)

If you find you have questions that a search on the forum doesn't answer, it is very likely to be @peregrine who comes to the rescue.

Please do feel confident about asking; someone will almost always try to help.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

http://www.google.com/search?&q=abbot+and+costello+niagara+falls

I think the answers to bonk and reactions are best answered in
    the "niagara falls" and "slowly I turned" on youtube. I can't view them at the moment to be sure, but if it is what i think it is, you owe it to yourself to watch.

• Such a bummer i would pay for the badges addon alone.

• @silentkillzr said:
    Such a bummer i would pay for the badges addon alone.

how much would you pay :).

• edited December 2012

Depending on how much work you have into it, with all things considered, it could range from 100-300, but I need a reason to believe you have more insight to adding badges than I do.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

probably if 20 - 40 other people wanted to contribute $100, it might then be worth the time to invest in writing it. A couple of people have kind of offered, but the specs were never clear and the "pay amounts were never mentioned or guranteed" Frankly, i don't understand what features are desired. What beyond the "I like this" and the "thankful people" is the draw.

It would be relative easy to assign a badge to someone with a certain number of likes or thanks or based on comment count or some other feature, I don't follow what the fascination is or what the key feature desired is.

edit after pondering: as long as they have reactions and badges on this forum - we might as well use them. I guess it does add some street-cred.

• I'm gonna take this to the PMs.

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited December 2012

@peregrine said:
    I don't follow what the fascination is or what the key feature desired is.

Exactly. I don't see what the hoopla is about badges, I was kind of annoyed with them when they first came out on this forum itself. Maybe someone could explain the appeal first.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I don't see what the hoopla is about badges,

Look call it what you want, Kudos,hi5, thumbs up , everyone likes to know they are appreciated and be able to show appreciation.

Maybe someone could explain the appeal first.

I think prizes, like badges, motivate community participation. Some forums go as far as to give out real prizes in exchange for participation. It seems to work, so it is not odd that they want something like a reward system.

In some respects people like to have something to show for time spent and their contributions. Maybe after getting 500 badges people get jaded or it does not matter anymore. Like adding a million friends on Facebook means (in appearance at least) that they are popular or well liked.

You can get people to do anything when there is merit. The soldiers get medals for this or that and also gain rank. It is about achievement and pushing people to achieve and it entitles them to a reward/badge.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

I think my point was taken slightly out of context. What is it that badges and reactions provides - that "I like this" and "thankful people and karma" don't provide. What is the key feature users want.

which of these (question specifically to people who said they would contribute).

a) the badges appearing in profile
    b) a list of user with badges
    c) a list of users with top number of appearing in sidepanel.
    d) the types of badges. (# comments, lol, awesome, etc, number of years on forum).
    e) badges notification appearing in activities.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Well one would have to look at it's utility. What is the purpose behind it? I suppose communication to others of their achievements if nothing else.

a) the badges appearing in profile

That part would please those who want to brag but those with few or none would not like to display their lack of.

b) a list of user with badges

That would be helpful to possibly tell who was the top of the heap in achievements. aka the most popular. Or the most trusted.I think the option to show or hide badges should be there.

c) a list of users with top number of appearing in side panel.

Or the list could show the top achievers at the top of the whole list.

d) the types of badges.

How about some default and then the option to create your own badge that you could give someone. Only the top achievers would have this ability.

e) badges notification appearing in activities.

This would please some people but then the rate of notifications would be too much.Kind of like the status on Facebook after a while who cares...

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

@vrijvlinder replied to question

which of these (question specifically to people who said they would contribute).

my point was more directed at people who kept "saying I'll contribute money". but you are free to comment of course, but i was seeking answers from those who said they wanted to contribute.

a kind of money where the mouth is - meets specifications

so how much were you offering to contribute $ wise?

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP
    edited December 2012

Let's Crowdfund it now! @peregrine and @x00 seem to be closest to the topic and able to develop it (or am i wrong)? I could throw some 500 bucks in. Come on let's take this to a new level. :)

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla
  • I may be interested in the future, but it is not something I want to commit to now. It is not fair on my existing clients, and I'm developing something that can manage the funding of such projects, which takes priority.

The way I see it, there are lots of different ideas, so there is room for choice. I'm not going to go back and forth on this, I have an idea that would be good. I think sometimes it need to be demonstrable before people buy into it. It is very time consuming discussing every man/woman and their dogs ideas.

My suggestion is have a set number of requirements an stick to the objective, until you have something workable. In some cases you just have to trust to developer.

grep is your friend.

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

200 from me :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.