HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Can You Make reactions here Visible all the time here?

vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Hi I noticed that many people do not react on helpful posts and sometimes not even when asked kindly to do so. It makes me think some people just don't know that they can click like or awesome or whatever because it is not readily apparent.

I very much doubt that people are that unattached that they just won't do so intentionally.

I am asking for an experiment to be carried out where the reactions in this forum are visible all the time not just upon hovering.

Possibly this will yield more reactions, if my theory is correct. I hope it is just a matter of changing some css .

Thanks

Comments

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

Hmm, that sounds okay as an experiment, but I'm not to keen on showing the reactions all the time in general from a design perspective.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Yes only an experiment to see if it increases reactions, I just can't believe people will intentionally not give kudos lol they must not see , Thanks Todd for considering it.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

After changing that, it would be cool if you got rid of the who "question answered y/n" that appears , it seems to be more of an impediment than something helpful. It also throw off the whole chronology of the message, in that the question answered yes rises to the top (with out later users seeing the sequence), and the fact that people often check question answered out of frustration to stop getting the reminder. In addition, the question answered will always pop-up in the question for eternity each time someone comments on a question that you feel has been answered by a previous respondent.

It would also lead to more people clicking on awesome, insightful, lol as a means of signifying question answered.

I also think a searchbox appearing in the mobile view would be handy, for people who view this forum - it might stop mobile users from asking questions that have been answered hundreds of times before - if they see a search box, which may be more apparent then clicking full-view.

While we are on feedback, since you guys are busy with coding and documentation is lagging, how about creating a "Faq" category, where users would enter a clear topical question e.g. "What do I do if I get a bonk?" and the answer and "permitted" users could add to it, and the perhaps the OP would have edit privileges for eternity. It may or may not lead to a more comprehensive easy to use category of good documents, that is easier to use than tagging. Periodically "developers or faq moderators" could clean up or correct the faqs.

The "announcement in the faq category" could be the table of contents with links to the faq discussions". A list of commonly asked questions could be submitted and an initial framework could be provided and filled in.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff

I really don't agree with removing the best answer positioning. We need some of the material here to be a knowledge base and putting the answers next to the questions is a way of increasing the value of the content as a whole.

Next stop is auto-sinking answered questions. We discussed it being great have discussions wind their way off topic, but a question should be answered then done.

edited December 2012

get rid of the who "question answered y/n" that appears

Where does that appear ? I have never seen it....was actually looking for it

how about creating a "Faq" category

That would be helpful specially for the common errors like Bonk. Maybe this can be achieved by being able to mark the question "FAQ" and automatically move it into that category.Essentially FAQing the question= moving it to the FAQ category. Sort of like a merge but only for FAQs. Then it would grow on it's own and self organize.

Maybe that is too much too ask? I was thinking on ways to do it but have no clue how, just the idea of doing it. :)

I noticed reactions are alway on in the mobile version , or was that the experiment?
    I hope bringing attention to the cause was helpful enough...not for me but for all the people who give help and solve problems and don't get even a thank you..