Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to delete all together spambot users in "Confirm Email" status?

My friends, in this moment I have more than 9.000 spambot users in Confirm Email status.
They come mainly (but not only) from gmail.com mail address and from the following IP Address:

My question is: there is a way to delete all together these insects... with a little help from my friends? :-)

All the best for you

Comments

• Do you want to delete everyone from the database that has the confirm email roleid?

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hi peregrine! Deleting everyone from the database that has the confirm email role can be the last chanche, but possible. Deleting everyone from the database that has the confirm email role + banned can be the best. Banning the IP adresses I have about 5.000 confirm + banned. Merry XMas!!!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

Deleting everyone from the database that has the confirm email role + banned can be the best.

do you mean either confirm email role/or banned role
    or do you mean users that have both confirm email role and banned role.

As a side note - I suspect you also need to fine tune your permissions table if you have confirmed-users able to do anything

I can write a plugin that would do the following.

search the database for users with the confirm e-mail role, produce a list of them
    with userid, name and email based on a single role. (or for any role you want)

you can view and verify the list and selectively delete what entries you want via a text editor.

then take action on the list with a submit button to remove the entries from the user and userrole table. Could add more tables but theoretically they shouldn't have entries in any other tables.

would you be interesting a making a small "token" contribution for such a plugin? Could have it to you pretty soon if you want it. PM, if you want it.

pm me if you want it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Both the role. The spambot is simply in Confirm Email role but the IP address is in my ban list so the user is listed both Confirm mail and banned. :-(
    PM will follow.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

I could produce a plugin that produces a viewable list.

list of users that
    are confirm e-mail role
    fits a certain ip address
    has 0 discussioncount ( optional)
    has 0 commentcount (optional)

you could edit out any user id's you don't want to include.

then you could submit it and delete the users in the edited list from the database.

I've been also thinking about amother plugin that does something similar that produces a list based on the following:

checks users with a weblink in activity
    but with no discussions and not comments.

you could edit out any user id's you don't want to include.

then you could submit it and delete the users from the database.

that seems like that would be a good way to weed out spammers.

just waiting for someone to sponsor either or both plugins for a small $ contribution.

• test

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

viewing list

I do need a better name for the plugin then "Delete Spammer".

any better name you can think of.

• On the second one, can you add the role?

• On the second one, can you add the role?

I could add the role id - but it is the "role id" you selected when you created the list. just takes up extra space.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited December 2012

@peregrine How about these for names : Spam Nuker, SpamBgone, AntiSpam, SpamX

:))

• @vrijvlinder said:
    peregrine How about these for names : Spam Nuker, SpamBgone, AntiSpam, SpamX

:))

I'm still undecided. maybe SpamBot Cleanse

new screenshots.

lol Cleanse reminds me of face wipes...how about adios-espam , Spamoff, Spammer Annihilator, Spam-this-Sucker, SpamBouncer <<<< would be great if you could bounce the spam back at them. Mail on the mac used to have that feature, you could bounce the spam back at them and it looked like a failure to deliver.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

how about

spam-ban-confirm_email-user_removal-admin-helper-utility-tool-with_options-requested-for-easy-administration-of-large-community-user_lists

that sounds good to me

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

Ho, Ho, Ho - merry xmas.

thx for sponsoring Olivaw - make sure you read the readme.txt in the plugin.

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/cleanser-plugin

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

duplicate removed.

Cleanser is a good name, since spammers are duchebags ...

• Well done!