Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Forum Graphics, etc. Stopped Working

Hello,

I haven't changed any settings or anything to my forum. For no reason, a couple days ago, the website graphics, etc. stopped working. If you go to bestschools.ca/forum you will see how everything doesn't worked. Like I said, I haven't made any changes or anything, so I can't understand what's wrong. My hosting server said they can't help me and that it's an installation issue, but the site has been working for months and then stopped working for no reason. Can anyone help me? Thank you.

Tagged:

Comments

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP
    edited December 2012

There is always a reason behind all issues. Perhaps you (or somebody else) added some content that broke the forum. Possibilities are (almost) endless.
    The problem is that, as far as I can see, your website just doesn't display anything. There is no obvious answer in such cases, an in-depth analysis is required.

Edit: by the way, have you tried restoring a backup?

• Hey, if you go to http://bestschools.ca/forum you'll see that it works for a couple seconds and then quickly goes to another page. I haven't changed, added, modified, or done anything to the content.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited December 2012

There is always a reason ,it looks like the page loads then goes blank. It gets redirected to a blank page or an ad page that gets blocked. Disable any plugins you might have added and check to see if any widget or flash object is not firing auto. Sometimes adds have a hidden link which redirects the user before the page loads. Maybe someone posted some content they should not have. Check for runaway java scripts .

When images do not load or there is an image placeholder it means you may have placed them in the wrong directory or moved them, or the links that point to the images is wrong. Your sign in page looks bad...something called adBright might be the problem. This is a screenshot of the page just before it goes blank.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

I think I found the possible culprit:

<!-- Begin: adBrite, Generated: 2012-07-24 23:41:58  -->
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var AdBrite_Title_Color = '0000FF';
    var AdBrite_Text_Color = '000000';
    var AdBrite_Background_Color = 'FFFFFF';
    var AdBrite_Border_Color = 'CCCCCC';
    var AdBrite_URL_Color = '008000';
    try{var AdBrite_Iframe=window.top!=window.self?2:1;var AdBrite_Referrer=document.referrer==''?document.location:document.referrer;AdBrite_Referrer=encodeURIComponent(AdBrite_Referrer);}catch(e){var AdBrite_Iframe='';var AdBrite_Referrer='';}
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript">document.write(String.fromCharCode(60,83,67,82,73,80,84));document.write(' src="http://ads.adbrite.com/mb/text_group.php?sid=2185817&zs=3732385f3930&ifr='+AdBrite_Iframe+'&ref='+AdBrite_Referrer+'" type="text/javascript">');document.write(String.fromCharCode(60,47,83,67,82,73,80,84,62));</script>

As suggested by @vrijvlinder, it seems that it's the AdBrite script that causes the redirect.

• Thanks for your help in pinpointing the problem. The issue now is that I can't login (because the site is crashed) o the forum to be able to edit the Pockets plugin that has the code. How can I do this?

• GaryFunkGaryFunk Senior Application Developer ✭✭

Can you FTP in?

• HalfCatHalfCat ✭✭
    edited December 2012

Connect to your database and find the table GDN_Pocket there you look for the line which has the adbrite code and edit or delete it. You might need to delete your cache files in the folder cache too afterwords.

• Just tried doing that -- if you visit the page, you'll see that the issue still exists. :(

• Well, at least I can now load the page. The problem I see now is the broken images in the bottom right. Something is severely wrong there though. Can you provide a link to an image that is correct?

• quick fix.

edit config.php -

change the pockets enabled to false.

then carefully look through all entries in the database and pockets table in particular with phpmyadmin.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Disabled pockets and looked through all entries in the database and pockets table to remove adbrite. Problem still occurring.

• you have multiple errors

yepnope({ test: Modernizr.cssgradients, nope: 'http://bestschools.ca/images/PIE.js' });

yepnope is undefined.

ReferenceError: addthis is not defined

addthis.bar.initialize({'default':{

maybe errors are finally coming home to roost.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• HalfCatHalfCat ✭✭
    edited December 2012

Yeah, the problem isn't a pocket. The problem is a javascript loaded in the header. Can you delete the yepnope script?

EDIT: peregrine beat me to it ;)

• a few moments of silence while

benjy000 is furiously attempting changes and wondering how the heck did yepnope get whacked :).

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

also your image urls are pointing to the wrong place in the src.

in bestschools.ca/forum/discussions

with a / before images seemed to fix it.

img width="239" border="0" height="44" name="Image71" alt="College and University Students" src="images/Revised-Main-Page10_07.jpg">_

should be ....

img width="239" border="0" height="44" name="Image71" alt="College and University Students" src="/images/Revised-Main-Page10_07.jpg">_

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@peregrine said: maybe errors are finally coming home to roost.