Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How do I get reactions/badges in 2.1a33?

2»

Comments

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

Very well, time to work on it, then. :)

• phreakphreak Vanilla*APP (White Label) & Vanilla*Skins Shop MVP

@businessdad and @x00: Would you suggest working together on a Reactions and Badges alternative?

• VanillaAPP | iOS & Android App for Vanilla - White label app for Vanilla Forums OS
    • VanillaSkins | Plugins, Themes, Graphics and Custom Development for Vanilla

@phreak said:
    businessdad and x00: Would you suggest working together on a Reactions and Badges alternative?

I don't have Reactions in my plans yet, but I started working on a version of Badges some time ago. For many reasons, I had to suspend it and it ended up at the bottom of the list. I'm now reviewing its status and see if I can make it usable in a reasonable time.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

My thought was to do the "Badges and Reactions" after a reasonable sponsored amount was reached and paid for - to provide that as a free add-on to the community rather than a premium add-on. I hope "add-on uploaded to forum add-ons" is stipulated in the payments, no matter who finally develops the plugin.

But, if businessdad is going to do it - no sense two people doing it.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• There are two ways to go about this: either copy the existing application pretty closely, or come up with some variation of it based on the wants and desires of those that are going to pitch in for it. In either case, the first problem is that I don't think anyone here knows just how the current badges works because the settings for it are in the hosted solution and I doubt many have seen it. IMO this should proceed like this:

1. Start a new discussion that summarizes the project proposal. This discussion is a bit off-topic and if people are serious a new one should be started.

2. Come up with a list if specifications for the current badges plugin. Perhaps from people currently using the hosted version?

3. Come up with a list of likes/dislikes about the current plugin.

4. Come up with a list of wants/desires for a new, similar plugin.

Once we have all the info in front of us, it will be much easier to make decisions and throw cash at people :)

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@peregrine, I am not crazy over badges and stuff but I would like to sponsor you for all your work you have put in and the future . You should get paypal ! I could maybe do a monthly contribution and possible get others to join in to chip in no matter the plugin. Or start a developers fund . Is there not a donate button anywhere for Vanilla ? If you were to charge 1$ per download and you get 1000 downloads that is a chunck o change...Maybe there is room for a Vanilla app store

• @vrijvlinder said:
    peregrine, I am not crazy over badges and stuff but I would like to sponsor you for all your work you have put in and the future . You should get paypal ! I could maybe do a monthly contribution and possible get others to join in to chip in no matter the plugin. Or start a developers fund . Is there not a donate button anywhere for Vanilla ? If you were to charge 1$ per download and you get 1000 downloads that is a chunck o change...Maybe there is room for a Vanilla app store

I agree that a store is needed but a dollar is not a reasonable price to pay for anything.

Well I used it as an example of the minimum. Using the app store as a model. Their apps are from free to .99 cents to 999$ the point is to generate volume to buy.
    It is either many buy for less or a few buy for more. The point is to get the amount that is fair.

@vrijvlinder said:
    Maybe there is room for a Vanilla app store

I think there's definitely room for it. Its absence is the reason why I started my own shop, as I believe that some work is definitely worth paying for.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Well I used it as an example of the minimum. Using the app store as a model. Their apps are from free to .99 cents to 999$ the point is to generate volume to buy.
    It is either many buy for less or a few buy for more. The point is to get the amount that is fair.

Right but thats in a market with potentially hundreds of thousands or millions of buyers. That would never work for a niche like this.

edited December 2012

There are stand alone stores for themes and plugins, Vanilla should jump on the bandwagon.
    I don't know the quality of these
    ,for WordPress, but I am sure they come with support. It seems very in expensive but some people have no sales at all.

http://codecanyon.net/category/wordpress?no_signin=true

The app store was a failure before it happened in the eyes of many, now everyone is a copycat. With the right framework a store for Vanilla would be great. I would charge 1 dollar per download of my themes, some will be more popular than others but having a low price like a dollar is motivational to try it out because it won't break the bank and all you lost was a dollar.
    I don't know how it happened but I got 1400 downloads of one of my themes overnight, I asked Todd what happened I was surprised thought it was a mistake. The point is it made me realize that charging 1 dollar would be enough if 1000 people download it and on and on.

• OlivawOlivaw New
    edited December 2012

100$ by me

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

@vrijvlinder said:

but I would like to sponsor you for all your work you have put in and the future

Thanks for the kind words, if you (or anyone) feel that any plugins or "advice on the board was helpful enough" for you to send me a donation (or send a donation to anyone else for that matter), by all means contact me, and I'll tell you how you can. It's a little more personal that way. It would go a long way in me contributing here in the future. Another idea, that would be cool if money could be sent to vanilla folks and they could dole it out to forum and add-on contributors. although that might be asking too much.

My plugins in total have been downloaded 5000 times (don't know how many of the plugins are in use - meaning deemed useful) and I've pretty much been spending quite a bit of time trying to help on the forum with what I do know. None of my plugins are barn-burners, although Add Menu Item, StatsFooter, and Membership Enhanced, but they all pale in comparison to WhosOnline (13 K downloads).

Certainly others in particular @x00 and the vanilla designers have given me help also. I've downloaded lots of plugins, don't have a forum or a website so I don't use them per se.

I do recommend the ones I like.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

@peregrine said:
    My thought was to do the "Badges and Reactions" after a reasonable sponsored amount was reached and paid for - to provide that as a free add-on to the community rather than a premium add-on. I hope "add-on uploaded to forum add-ons" is stipulated in the payments, no matter who finally develops the plugin.

But, if businessdad is going to do it - no sense two people doing it.

@peregrine You may be right, but your plan and mine are different. As we already discussed in the past, I'm not a fan of sponsorship model. Giving the plugin as a Premium Addon would allow distributing the cost over a larger number of Users. The only issue, as usual, is how many Users would actually want it, and, most importantly, would be willing to pay for it. Personally, I find it unfair that some people pay several hundred dollars for something, while others just "grab" it (and, of course, expect free, immediate support for any issue).

@vrijvlinder Over a thousand downloads for a theme is a good result, but I would not be surprised if such figure were much lower if there were a cost involved. Also, it seems that Themes are much more popular than Plugins, probably because eye candy attracts more people than technical stuff. There may be a market for Vanilla themes, but it would be much smaller for Plugins.
    Considering that some plugins require a significant amount of work and, generally, more support, their price would end up being significantly higher than themes.
    Taking myself as an example, I would not be able to sell, for $1, a plugin that took me a week of work, as I would need almost 3000 downloads just to break even with the costs (and without factoring in the cost of supporting all of them).

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

@businessdad said

Personally, I find it unfair that some people pay several hundred dollars for something, while others just "grab" it (and, of course, expect free, immediate support for any issue).

I accept your decision. I do have an opinion. Kind of like arguing politics :).

I personally believe it should be up to the people who pay for the plugin and I hope it is mandated by them before any payment is made. If somebody says they want to sponsor something for the community, I discount the cost :). but that is my model.

But everybody has there own model and business plan.

I don't know if you ever downloaded any plugins from this forum - its give and take, and you provided help and valuable plugins. There will always be freeloaders who contribute nothing in terms of support or money. But there are plenty who actually do try to help who may not be flush with cash and they would be at a disadvantage.

@peregrine Not just words, maybe Vanilla could allow placement of a paypal api on the page along with the info for the plugin or theme . It is rather simple to set it up, just like any other login api. It is easier to do it that way than to collect all the money and sort it to the folks who earned it. The paypal is more personal and the money goes directly into your credit card, less a small percentage of course. Maybe a similar api can be developed strictly for vanilla use.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited December 2012

I was under the impression that the paypal api has to be on "your own website", not someone else's site. That may need some verification with paypal folks.

I'm not sure about that,but you can put it on an ebay account if all else fails,

here is more

info,https://www.x.com/developers/paypal/documentation-tools/api

I could make you a website for free, just buy the domain name you want. I can host it for you.

edited December 2012

@businessdad said: Over a thousand downloads for a theme is a good result, but I would not be surprised if such figure were much lower if there were a cost involved. Also, it seems that Themes are much more popular than Plugins, probably because eye candy attracts more people than technical stuff.

yea I was pretty surprised, specially coz no complaints ! It is hard to tell if people actually use something and for how long or if they download to copy it and sell it. I don't think there is a way to tell here. I wrote Todd to ask if it was a mistake, he said it could be bots. Why would bots want my theme? lol I was thinking my work was acceptable and compelled me to work harder to make it better. Even if only one person used it, I would feel as though I could do more and improve. If you put the right price on things you would be surprised how many people will pay.

I disagree that eye candy trumps the motor. If peregrine had not come up with the admin theme and mobile theme switcher I would have nothing to do !!! Those two have revolutionized the way themes are used. On the fly One can change the look. The other way is more tedious involves knowing stuff. Plus you can live without themes but not without plugins which to me seem to connect the dots of design and function.

(some of my hack boilerplate history)..I got into designing pages on myspace in 2005. They allowed so much and I started hacking the designs and soon I had over 200 people's pages I made maybe more. I got hooked on code lmao !!