HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Limitation in Gdn_Model - Cannot handle composite Primary Keys

businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

I spotted this issue today, while I was testing an Alpha version of the Badges plugin. One of my tables has a composite primary key (a surrogate key would be superfluous) and, although Gdn_Schema::PrimaryKey() returns, correctly, an array with two field names, class Gdn_Model only takes the first one as the Primary key.

The above happens in file class.model.php, line 172:

$this->PrimaryKey = $this->Schema->PrimaryKey($this->Name, $this->Database);
     // At this point, the primary key is an array with two fields
     if (is_array($this->PrimaryKey)) {
        //print_r($this->PrimaryKey);
        $this->PrimaryKey = $this->PrimaryKey[0]; // This discards all fields, except the first
     }

I'm not sure of why the Model was implemented in such way, but the result is that it's not working correctly with composite primary keys.

Tagged:

Comments

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

an interesting (strange to me, not knowing why it was done) design decision. but obviously quite intentional.

• Schema is public though.

grep is your friend.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited January 2013

If you have an issue with validation, this is not a problem to result. You can just add a rule or a result, you can also process the insertion error.

grep is your friend.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@x00 said:
    If you have an issue with validation, this is not a problem to result. You can just add a rule or a result, you can also process the insertion error.

I'm not sure I understand this. However, I don't have any issue, I just found myself wondering how composite Primary Keys were handled by Gdn_Model, and I found out that they aren't. As @hbf stated, it's clearly intentional, but it's incorrect. If a PK contains fields, taking the first one is as wrong as taking two of them, or none. Unless there is a specific case for which this approach was designed, I consider it a limitation.

There are many ways to work around it, I simply thought it was worth informing the community, should anyone stumble upon unexpected results.

• sure, why not report on git hub?

grep is your friend.