Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

500px and DeviantArt?

This plugin is perfect. Any plan on embedding photos from 500px and deviantArt?

Comments

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Thanks, I pasted the modified lines, but deviantart links are not converted in images.

Alrighty, I'll see if I can find some time to test it tomorrow and hopefully make it work - I'm off to bed now.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

http://about.deviantart.com/policy/copyright/

DeviantArt is not a hosting site for pictures like photobucket or tiny pic etc.

The content is copyrighted.

Whether or not you can convert the links to images, it is a violation to hotlink images from there .

• It is a violation to hotlink copyright protected images from anywhere. And btw there are quite a few artists on deviantart whose works are not copyright protected: http://creative-commons.deviantart.com/

It is a violation to hotlink copyright protected images from anywhere

true, but the difference being that picture hosting sites purpose is to be able to hotlink to them. DeviantArt does not offer that service. It is for artists to manage and showcase their content. It is against the terms of service to hotlink from DeviantArt. Even if it is your own art. I don't know how they go about caching people, I imagine it's some kind of signature embedded in the image profile.

creative-commons

Is a license to use copyrighted material, I can publish a work of art and it is copyrighted that moment. Then I can choose to give people a creative commons license with different levels of permission. The people who take the work must abide by the copyright first then the license. And the artist can revoke such permissions at any time .

Who gives permission to use works offered under Creative Commons licenses?

Our licenses and legal tools are intended for use by anyone who holds copyright to the work. This is often, but not always, the creator or author. Creative Commons has no authority to grant permission on behalf of those persons, nor does CC manage those rights on behalf of others. CC offers licenses and tools to the public free of charge and does not require that creators or other rightsholders register with CC in order to apply a CC license to a work. This means that CC does not have special knowledge of who uses the licenses and for what purposes, nor does CC have a way to contact authors beyond means generally available to the public.

If you would like to obtain additional permissions to use the work beyond those granted by the license that has been applied, you should contact the rights-holder.

A person must knowingly possess the rights or license to the material. Otherwise it is theft of intellectual property.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    creative-commons

Is a license to use copyrighted material, I can publish a work of art and it is copyrighted that moment. Then I can choose to give people a creative commons license with different levels of permission. The people who take the work must abide by the copyright first then the license. And the artist can revoke such permissions at any time .

I don't want this to become totally off-topic but what you are saying is wrong:

1) When you create a work, you are the author and hold the copyright for it. When you chose to license it differently, this is permanent and overwrites the copyright.

2) Hotlinking is not against the TOS of deviantart. Nowhere can this be found. Even if it was, they would have no possibility other than prventing it server-side-wise to enforce this policy which they don't.

edited January 2013

They did not allow it then allowed it and it is a controversial issue because artists want to be able to link their work and preventing hotlinks all around would also cut off those who use the site. But others want protection. You used to get a broken image image when you hotlinked to DA or the images would disappear.

However the point is also covered in their tos and copyright pages. It states clearly that you can't post content without permission . That includes hotlinks even though it is not specified as such.

Can I use the works which I find on deviantART?

The best way to get DA into your website is using their API s

http://www.deviantart.com/developers/

BTW they are hiring!

ps Copyright trumps the CC

Creative Commons is a copyright based system, and licences are assigned by the copyright holder. This means that the licence lasts for the full duration of the work's copyright (varies by country) and the CC can be changed.

CopyLeft
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft

No matter what, deviantART supports OEmbed as per their documentation: http://www.deviantart.com/developers/oembed