Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

After accessing full site once, how to go back to mobile view from a mobile device?

My newest forum of a dedicated-to-Android website has got a large number of viewers who come from Android devices. The site loads fine in mobile view. But my question is, how to roll back to mobile view if they clicked "Full Site" link found at the footer of mobile-friendly layout? I found no option to rollback to mobile layout once gone to full site.

Best Answer

Answers

• Eww, that sucks! Something like .com/?mobile or similar (like WordPress.com does) would have been awesome. :(

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

Clear cookies :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

you can't just clear the cache, it does not work . The time the cached page remains needs to be altered. Also some devices must be added in there not all are recognized as mobile. If you open your mobile and get the mobile page, if you go to the full site there is no way back, even if you clear the cache.

You could add a link on your full site to go the mobile version.

http://yoursite/forum/profile/mobile

But it will not work until you change these things. the link I posted contains more info.

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

Was looking through the release branch code and found this:

// Allow return to mobile site
    $ForceNoMobile = Gdn_CookieIdentity::GetCookiePayload('VanillaNoMobile');
    if ($ForceNoMobile !== FALSE && is_array($ForceNoMobile) && in_array('force', $ForceNoMobile))
        $Sender->AddAsset('Foot', Wrap(Anchor(T('Back to Mobile Site'), '/profile/nomobile/1'), 'div'), 'MobileLink');

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• @kasperisager said:
    Was looking through the release branch code and found this:

// Allow return to mobile site
    $ForceNoMobile = Gdn_CookieIdentity::GetCookiePayload('VanillaNoMobile');
    if ($ForceNoMobile !== FALSE && is_array($ForceNoMobile) && in_array('force', $ForceNoMobile))
        $Sender->AddAsset('Foot', Wrap(Anchor(T('Back to Mobile Site'), '/profile/nomobile/1'), 'div'), 'MobileLink');

Ok.. where do I paste this then?

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

Nowhere. If you're using 2.1, a "Back to Mobile Site" link will be displayed in the footer if you're on a mobile device viewing the full site. You could probably backport it to 2.0 though; try pasting it in a plugin or your theme hooks and see what happens.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• Confluence site suggested incognito mode.
    Tried it on my Android Jitterbug Google Chrome and on the one site I tried, it worked.
    Came back to mobile mode in incognito tab (only), did not reset globally.
    Did not want to reset browser and chance losing bookmarks, sign-in cookies, etc, so, a reasonable workaround.
    Sucks that some sites don't have a "mobile" button to retoggle back.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

I'm struggling to see why you resurrected a 5 year old thread to post this.

Do you have an issue you want help with?