HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Forum Freelance Work

eminnixeminnix New
edited January 2013 in Feedback

Hello:

I am looking for someone who can help me with some issues. Specifically, I am running the Vanilla Forum as part of a Page Lines Theme. I need help with the following:

• Eliminating all the Bot applicants (Tried installing the Cleanser plugin and it doesn’t work)
• Stopping all the Bots in the future (Tried installing the BotStop plugin and it doesn’t work)
• Telling me why my forum runs so painfully slow and what I can do to help it

Of course I am working within a budget but I also do not expect anyone to work for free.

Thanks,
Elise

Comments

• 422422 Developer MVP

Install nginx will speed forum up

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

• Eliminating all the Bot applicants (Tried installing the Cleanser plugin and it doesn’t work) •

Explain what happens and why it does not work please...

Stopping all the Bots in the future (Tried installing the BotStop plugin and it doesn’t work) •

Telling me why my forum runs so painfully slow and what I can do to help it

How can anyone tell you anything without a link to the problem? I like guessing games but this is more like pin the tail on the donkey lol.....

Of course I am working within a budget but I also do not expect anyone to work for free.

A budget goes a long way but a kind disposition goes way longer...

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@vrijvlinder I might agree with the substance, but not with the form of your reply.

It's absolutely normal for Users, especially when they are not technical, to simply say "it doesn't work" or, even "nothing works". It's true that there isn't much we can do without knowing more details, but it's up to us to guide them to providing such details.

• Feisty!

Cleanser - When I go to "View Cleanser list" I get bonked.
    BotStop - When I apply for a new membership it ALWAYS says "Your humanity is suspect... Please try again." Additionally, IF the questions are supposed to be on that particular page, they are not.

How can anyone tell you anything without a link to the problem? I like guessing games but this is more like pin the tail on the donkey lol.....

I don't get the metaphor but my site is www.speakingofhope.com

A budget goes a long way but a kind disposition goes way longer...

I have a kind disposition 80% of the time.

@businessdad : It's absolutely normal for Users, especially when they are not technical, to simply say "it doesn't work" or, even "nothing works".

which is why I asked them to explain what was happening...please, not being technical is no excuse for posting an angry complaint without further description of the problem whilst asking for help. It only begs for questions such as "what happens?"

but it's up to us to guide them to providing such details.

I thought that is what I did when I asked "Explain what happens and why it does not work please..."

@eminnix

You have this embedded in a wp from what I see ? It does not look like you have anything that would cause a slowdown like flash etc....your server Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) FrontPage/5.0.2.2635

Apache 2.4 Delivers More Performance

Cleanser - When I go to "View Cleanser list" I get bonked. BotStop - When I apply for a new membership it ALWAYS says "Your humanity is suspect... Please try again."

Please Post these complaints in the respective plugin's page so the developer of the plugin can help resolve the matter.

p.s. that is a nice site, my friend's dad is dieing of brain cancer, I will pass on the link...

• eminnixeminnix New
    edited January 2013

WHO is angry? Are you serious? I was simply reaching out for help but obviously this is not the right forum for me. I was trying to make a nice forum for a brain tumor support group.

I think you need a support group as well... or a hug.

Yes this support group is way too technical lol and they don't give hugs :(

• You are so smart. I wish I could be like you.

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited January 2013

@eminnix said:
    but obviously this is not the right forum for me.

Ok, back to topic guys. @eminnix did you add the information that is required for you to get your questions answered?
    Good, otherwise, it would be great if you could answer the questions that vrijvlinder asked:

• Tried installing the Cleanser plugin and it doesn’t work
      • When I go to "View Cleanser list" I get bonked
      • Ok, whenever you get a Bonk error, you need to make an adjustment in your config.php file. After you then refresh your page, you will see the details of your Bonk error. If you look in my signature, you will see a link to a beautiful page on what to do if you get a bonk error. Can you execute those steps and let us know the details of the Bonk error?
    • Tried installing the BotStop plugin and it doesn’t work
      • When I apply for a new membership it ALWAYS says "Your humanity is suspect.
      • I think it has something to do with how your Vanilla page is set up. It might also have something to do with the slowness of your page..
    • Telling me why my forum runs so painfully slow and what I can do to help it

All we're trying to do is help here. Everyone is welcome. When we're helping we need more information than 'it doesn't work', I hope you understand that. Let's try and resolve your problems.
    I'll try and work on the slowness of your site.

• 422422 Developer MVP

loads fast for me, plus looks nice and clean

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@UnderDog said:
    did you add the information that is required for you to get your questions answered?

Actually, she did, although formatting is a bit messed up.

• Cleanser: when I go to "View Cleanser list" I get bonked.
    • BotStop: when I apply for a new membership it ALWAYS says "Your humanity is suspect... Please try again." Additionally, IF the questions are supposed to be on that particular page, they are not.
  • UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited January 2013

When I look at the HTML source of http://speakingofhope.com/vanilla/ I'm a bit puzzled.
    First of all, the title reads 'Untitled Document'. It made me frown a bit, but that's normal. It's no problem, until everything works correctly.
    Then I looked further:

< !DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd" >
    < html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
    < head >
    < meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" / >
    < title >Untitled Document< /title >
    < /head >

That's fine, but now comes the trouble (in my eyes). The source of Vanilla starts. In the head section?

< !DOCTYPE html >
    < html dir="ltr" lang="en-US" >
    < title >All Discussions - Online Community< /title >

Can you explain what you were trying to do? If you wish to embed Vanilla into Wordpress, that's one option.
    You probably want to apply the same style to Vanilla as you have with your main site (the Wordpress site).

If you look at the HTML source of your site with, for example, FireFox, you see part of your source being red. Red is not good in this case.
    As soon as you resolve that, your site might load faster.

• 422422 Developer MVP
    edited January 2013

yup as UnderDog said:

< !DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    < html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    < head>
    < meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
    < title>Untitled Document
    < /head>

Ditch that code.

FFS I hate pissing about adding code to this forum, drives me nuts

• @422 said:
    FFS I hate pissing about adding code to this forum, drives me nuts

Yup, it's something we have to deal with for the 2.1 release.

• 422422 Developer MVP

thanks for fixing mate :)

This forum is embedded into WP using the wordpress pagelines theme. It should have an area to put the title in in the theme settings. In the WP dashboard.