Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to update link

HI,

I just inherited a vanilla forum from my client. I need to change out a link that appears on every page just below the header. It's a javascript and we put our "Welcome New Users" link here that leads to a video pop up. For the life of me I can't figure out how to change out this link and add a new video. Someone mentioned maybe it was a messages add function but I can't find much about it.

Best Answer

Answers

• If it is done in vanilla, it should be in Dashboard -> Messages. If it is not there, it might be added through a custom theme...

• Hi thank you! I don't have anything that says messages in the dashboard, is it a link on the left menu?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@DaniM53

Using Firebug in Firefox, or a similar tool, should give you an idea of what aspect needs changing.

• It says it is

<

div class="InformMessages">

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Those are the messages you can post for users, warning message , inform message. You can disable it or edit what it says in the dashboard in the messages section.

• Is it normal not to have a message menu on the dashboard? We don't have one.

No it is not normal unless it was disabled by the previous owner. The link to that page is on the panel in the first group of options in the dashboard on the left hand side.

• Ok thanks, I'm guessing it must be a custom template or something then. Since that menu option is missing.

that aspect of the forum is part of the core of the application, the folder where it should be is forum/application/dashboard/views/message/edit.php You can look in there and see if it was tampered with. You should download a vanilla app and compare the contents of what you have and the original. Then replace what is missing by copy paste.

edited January 2013

The stuff that appears in the dashboard is only and should only be affected by plugins or app installs. The plugins send a link to the panel if they have settings besides enable and disable. There should not be any options missing in the dashboard unless they were removed from the dashboard by something else or just erased. That is a core function which should not be disabled much less removed. There are no custom templates which affect the dashboard except for the css themes that are available for the dashboard. But they only affect the looks and not the function.

Try using another theme and see if it caused by that, but unless there is some css or something that says to hide that link from the dashboard I can't imagine why anyone would do that.

Try accessing the page thru it's direct url...

http://www.yourwebsite.com/forum/dashboard/message

• Thank you so much, I did not have access to messages but fixed that. I am now researching. I appreciate the info you provided me! thank you!