Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Threaded conversations, or an easier way to visualize responses/conversations?

I'm trying out Vanilla forums with a group of 6th grade students. The forum experience is new to them, and part of what I'm expecting of them, is to respond to each other's comments on particular posts. Their isn't an appearance of hierarchy, so it's been a little awkward for them.

I'm using the Quotes plugin, but it's not highlighting the quote onces the post is published.

It seems that a threaded view might help visually organize the thread.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks for the feedback.

Comments

• Options

@peripatew said:
    I'm trying out Vanilla forums with a group of 6th grade students. The forum experience is new to them, and part of what I'm expecting of them, is to respond to each other's comments on particular posts. Their isn't an appearance of hierarchy, so it's been a little awkward for them.

I'm using the Quotes plugin, but it's not highlighting the quote onces the post is published.

It seems that a threaded view might help visually organize the thread.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks for the feedback.

Is the "notification area" in the upper right on this forum, a feature of the open source forums as well? Is that theme dependent? If they could get a notification, when someone quotes them, that might be enough.

• Options

Threaded view may be a good way to visually organize a discussion but it stinks in practice as it takes forever to read it all since every comment has to be opened one at a time.

• Options

Hum. I'm thinking more of a "flat" view, that just shows who is replying to who within the thread.

So. Sam makes a new discussion. Laura and Bill responds, then Sam responds to each.

Sam
    -> Laura
    -> Sam
    -> Bill
    -> Sam

Now, it's just

Sam
    Laura
    Bill
    Sam
    Sam

• Options
    aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

@peripatew

1. Its technically very difficult to implement threaded view. You will need multiple layers/keys in database tables.

2. Notifications is available with beta version of open source Vanilla. Wait few years for it to release.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

@aery said:
    peripatew

1. Its technically very difficult to implement threaded view. You will need multiple layers/keys in database tables.

2. Notifications is available with beta version of open source Vanilla. Wait few years for it to release.

1). Gotcha thanks.
    2). Was that meant to be years? Or months?

• Options
    aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

@peripatew No one knows. May be tomorrow, may be another 3 months. It is publicly available here https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/tree/release/2.1b1

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

@aery thanks for the info. Is there an option to email or notify a user when they are quoted or mentioned within the current release?