Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Changing email text <which file to edit>

From what I understand it's better to change text on Vanilla forums via locales.

I've tried this for the emails vanilla sends out to new users but it's failed to change the text. I then found this :
http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/152976

Whereby it's mention to change the /applications/dashboard/locale/en-CA/definitions.php file. I did this and it worked instantly. However from what I understand this will be over written if I upgrade etc in the future.

Is there a better way to do this?

Quite honestly all I want to do is change the url in the email. Currently the forum is embedded across several different pages depending on the category they are looking at. While it would be great to send them back to the page/category they directly signed up from. I'm thinking it's easier to send them to a new embedded custom page showing all category's.

Any advice much appreciated.

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@LW1

Did you add your definition to locale.php file in your conf folder?

If so, it seems strange that a change in your definitions file would not also work in there.

• @whu606 I tried adding & changing /locales/skeleton/definitions.php and there was no change.

did the same with /applications/dashboard/locale/en-CA/definitions.php can it changed perfectly. If I change the locales in conf folder will it also be wiped if I upgrade Vanilla?

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@LW1

It shouldn't do, afaIk.

It is definitely the file where those changes are expected to be made.

(Keep a copy handy, just in case, though...)

• @whu606 okay, thank you. As a test I tried editing /conf/locale.php by adding

$Definition['Have a great day!'] = 'See you soon!';

No change I'm afraid.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You can't just add arbitrary words and expect them to be changed, it has to be the exact frase . Here is an extended discussion with more help...

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/172889/#Comment_172889

• @vrijvlinder Got it working, thank you. I was mixing up the code with the other locale where you could put in those definitions and see a change, eg changing the sign up form.

Thanks again @whu606 too

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@vrijvlinder said:
    You can't just add arbitrary words and expect them to be changed, it has to be the exact frase .

I'm not sure I understand what this means...

• GaryFunkGaryFunk Senior Application Developer ✭✭

She means text replacement has to be an exact match.

• 422422 Developer MVP

I concur, i thought that was the idea of defining new "frases"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

Oh, now I get it: the key has to be an exact match. That was obvious to me, hence the confusion.
    When I read phrase, I interpreted as the value, which didn't make sense to me. :)

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

She means text replacement has to be an exact match.

Exactly! :) Although it would be cool to be able to just put in anything and have it changed...