Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Style changes won't take effect in 2.1 (Bitter Sweet theme)

ZhaanZhaan Professional fool ✭✭
edited January 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I'm playing around with the custom.css file for the Bitter Sweet theme in Vanilla 2.1, but none of the changes seem to take effect once I upload it. What am I missing here? Are the styles controlled by something else?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• ZhaanZhaan Professional fool ✭✭

Hum.. it seems to be getting its styles from a location called "utility/css/style/", but that doesn't even exist as far as I can tell? o-o

• GaryFunkGaryFunk Senior Application Developer ✭✭

go to /cache/css and delete the .css files then go to your site.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Zhann

Add this line to your config.php file

$Configuration['Garden']['Debug'] = TRUE;

See here for a basic guide to theming in 2.1

edited January 2013

Done and done, but still no visible changes. Also, I'm reading the wiki page, but I can't see any mention of utility/css/style/ so far.. does it exist somewhere?

It is a virtual directory and exists only in memory.

Actually, I only got 'permission denied' when I attempted to clear /cache/css.. Any tips there?

@kasperisager Will do!

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@kasperisager

Oops!

Cheers for the heads up!

@Zhaan said:
    Actually, I only got 'permission denied' when I attempted to clear /cache/css.. Any tips there?

You need to logon as an account that has permission to delete those files.

Strange, I definitely should be able to do it on my main account. Will look into it.

Nevermind, I just renamed the CSS folder to 123abc and made a new one. Works like a charm now!

Thanks for all the help.

• 2.1 is a permissions minefield. Good thinking on renaming the CSS folder I wish I had thought of that when I was struggling with that stuff. However, if you are planning on doing a lot of edits you should implement @kasperisager suggestion as it's the only real solution to this issue atm.