Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

I just copy all the folders of Vanilla to a new host site. How can I make it comeup?

I just create a new website and I did copy all the files of Vainilla into thenew webiste in the same locations.
I change the command line exchanging the old website.com with a new webiste.com
It can not find the pages.
Please advise, Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

Answers

• Options
    GaryFunkGaryFunk Senior Application Developer ✭✭

Start by going to the /cache directory and deleting the .ini files.

• Options
    roncarverroncarver New
    edited January 2013

Thanks for the reply.
    I did delete the ini files from the cache folder.

Originally the way to log into the forum, I did use this link:

http://zzzforum5.OldWebsite.com/vanilla/index.php?p=/
    Where zzz was the forum name and forum5 was the folder in the root.

I have tried these ways

http://zzzforum5.NewWebsite.com/vanilla/index.php?p=/

http://forum5.NewWebsite.com/vanilla/index.php?p=/

From above I get server not found

http://www.NewWebsite.com/forum5/vanilla/index.php?p=/

http://www.NewWebsite.com/forum5/vanilla/index.php

From above I get page not found.

There is a folder called Vanilla in root of the website as well.

• Options

First a response to Gary : I have the exact name. I have a shortcut that opens the index.html of
    the web site. That works.
    To Underdog:I copy all the files from the previous website to the new one. Do I have to go installing as a new installation?
    Will Vanilla recognize the the files already there? Or will delete them and start a new Forum?

• Options

It depends on whether you set up the database on the new website.
    If you did not set up a database, I would first install and then copy the files from old site to new site.
    If you did install a database, copy old files to new site and then clear cache/*.ini

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Options

So in other words. Go back and delete the forum5 folder. Log into the Vanilla folder and start a new db, then copy the folder forum5 into the website.
    Correct?

• Options

Yes, but backup, backup, backup.

• Options

OK I delete the Forum5, and the Vanilla folder.
    I uploaded the new vanilla folder and proceed to setup the new db.
    I got a red message: with this error
    SQLSTATE[28000] [1045] Access denied for user 'mike'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    Please advise. Thanks

• Options

One question, I only backup/copied all the files in the root directory. Was I suppost to copy anything else?
    If the forum is stored in a sql db, where is that DB and how to back it up?

• Options
    422422 Developer MVP

@roncarver

I think it best you pay one of the guys here to set you up, and your databases. Then you can spend quality time enjoying your forums, it seems as if you may be in over your head ( we all know that place )

• Options

Thanks for the response, at this time we are trying to go the lowest price we can go.
    We are a bunch of retired people, must of us own point and shoot cameras, not Nikons and Canons. This forum was working fine, I had it setup about a year ago. The host went from $48 to $120/ year. It was not worh it. So we went to another host. If we have to invest more money, we can not afford it.
    We could get a host with forum service already built in, for just a few bucks more.
    If I can not get Vanilla forum to work, I guess I will not be able to afford it.
    I do appreciate the efforts I have received from this group here. It has been fantastic.

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@roncarver

The most important part of your Vanilla forum is the database.

That is not kept in the Vanilla folder.

Did you take a copy of that from your old host?

To move to a new server, you would need to upload the old database to the new server, then either copy or reinstall Vanilla, and point it to the database.

When I've done this I just did a new install of Vanilla with a new database, then edited conf/config.php to point to the old database, and cleared the ini files from cache.

• Options
    edited January 2013

If you're setting up a new install of Vanilla you have to create the database yourself; Vanilla doesn't do that for you.

If you have access to CPanel you can use phpMyAdmin to do this.

If you need a walk through let me know.

If, in CPanel, you have a section called Software/Services, you may have access to Simple Scripts, which should install Vanilla for you, including the database.

• Options

Thank for the responses. Very generous.
    I think I did not get the copy of the db. All I got was the original VAnilla folder and the Folder called Forum5, which I though had the db, as the pictures and Users Icons are there.
    DId I get the Db? How can I tell?

• Options

@roncarver focus on this error message and I think it will work out somehow : SQLSTATE[28000] [1045] Access denied for user 'mike'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
    in your vanilla folder (forum5 :-S) you have a directory called 'conf' and in that directory (folder) you have a file called config.php.
    In your configuration file, the mysql database user is 'mike' with a certain password and the error message says that your new host does not know the user 'mike' with that password.
    There are a couple of things you can do, but first you need to figure out if you can go to, like whu606 says, your cpanel or Software / Services section on your server, so you can manage databases etc.
    Almost any host has that type of software, you can go to, so let's figure out if your host has the same.

• Options

@UnderDog

I think he is getting that message because the DB hasn't been created.

@roncarver

No, the database files are always stored separately on web servers.

If you have not got a backup of the database, and you cannot get one from your old host, then I am afraid it is gone.

• Options
    hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

@roncarver

I offer vanilla forums hosting for $50 / mo + DNS registration fees (50/yr). I offer free subdomain under my primary webaddress of homebrewforums.net as well. so for $50 /mo you can have a forum hosted at something like http://yourname.homebrewforums.net

I can also provide a wordpress option as well.