Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Notification when replying to someone, or when quoting them?

If I start a discussion, and people reply to it, there doesn't appear to be any notifications sent to them via email, or that appear in the menu next to there name.

But if they start a discussion, they are notified of replies to it.

I'm asking as I start ALL the discussions, so when I reply to someones post within my discussion, they aren't getting any notifications of that. I'd like them to get an email, as well as a visual indication of that when they're on the forum.

Does this make sense? If not I'll try to clarify. How would I go about achieving this sort of functionality?

Tagged:

Comments

  • vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

    These are user settings that they can check and un check to get notifications.

    • Notify me when people write on my wall.
    • Notify me when people reply to my wall comments.
    • Notify me of private messages.
    • Notify me when I am added to private conversations.
    • Notify me when people comment on my discussions.
    • Notify me when people mention me in discussion titles.
    • Notify me when people mention me in comments.
    • Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions.
    • Notify me when people start new discussions.
    • Notify me when people comment on a discussion.
    • Notify me when a comment is flagged.
  • So, with the quote plugin, it won't notify the person, unless they started the discussion, or unless their @username is typed out though correct?

  • vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

    Why don't you make a test user and test it out . That way you can see what happens when you do these things and adjust where you can.

    UnderDog
  • @vrijvlinder said:
    These are user settings that they can check and un check to get notifications.

    • Notify me when people write on my wall.
    • Notify me when people reply to my wall comments.
    • Notify me of private messages.
    • Notify me when I am added to private conversations.
    • Notify me when people comment on my discussions.
    • Notify me when people mention me in discussion titles.
    • Notify me when people mention me in comments.
    • Notify me when people comment on my bookmarked discussions.
    • Notify me when people start new discussions.
    • Notify me when people comment on a discussion.
    • Notify me when a comment is flagged.

    Same issue here no one in the thread is being notified that I replied (i checked outgoing mail server). How do you set it so that new members are auto subscribed to all the options you listed above?

  • vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited January 2013

    @hydn

    // Default Preferences
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['ConversationMessage']   = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['AddedToConversation']   = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['BookmarkComment']       = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['WallComment']           = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['ActivityComment']       = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['DiscussionComment']     = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['DiscussionMention']     = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['CommentMention']        = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['ConversationMessage']   = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['AddedToConversation']   = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['BookmarkComment']       = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['WallComment']           = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['ActivityComment']       = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['DiscussionComment']     = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['DiscussionMention']     = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['CommentMention']        = '1';
    

    These are the default configuration settings for the user notification preferences . The number 1 represents get notification, 0 represents no notification. I think if you paste these into the config.php and put them all as 1 then you will have set the preferences to all send notification. I need someone to confirm this , I am not an expert.

    hydnUnderDog422
  • yes. I just need to confirm if I should edit them to 1's in config-defaults.php or if I should paste the block from config-defaults.php into config.php and set to 1's there.

  • vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

    Do not edit the default-configs, copy the block and paste into config.php then change the 0 to 1.

    UnderDog
  • I've done this, but it still doesn't notify if someone just quotes, I have to manually add @username for them toget notified.

  • businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

    @peripatew said:
    I've done this, but it still doesn't notify if someone just quotes, I have to manually add username for them toget notified.

    If I understood what you mean, such behaviour is correct.

    When a User A quotes User B, there must be a reference to User B so that he can be notified. For example, if I just quoted you, all I would have written in the post would have been

    > I've done this, but it still doesn't notify if someone just quotes....

    The above is just text, with no reference to where it comes from. Therefore, Vanilla cannot notify the original poster. That's where @UserB comes into play.

    Also, keep in mind that the User reference is also just text. That is, you could very well write something like this:

    @UserB said:
    I've done this, but it still doesn't notify if someone just quotes

    And UserB would get the notification. That is, there is no real "hard" link between the User reference and the text in the quote.

    UnderDog
  • @businessdad so what would be needed to change within the plugin to have it add the @username when quoting someone?

  • businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

    @peripatew said:
    businessdad so what would be needed to change within the plugin to have it add the username when quoting someone?

    As far as I can see, it already does it. If you go on any message, and click on "Quote" (bottom left), it automatically populates the input box with the content of the message, together with a @Username at the top.

    Are you using a different method to quote text?

  • Isn't the quote issue only if you use the quote plugin?

    vrijvlinder
  • businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

    @hydn said:
    Isn't the quote issue only if you use the quote plugin?

    That's right. In fact, I thought that the Quote Plugin was what @peripatew was referring to:

    @peripatew said:
    So, with the quote plugin, it won't notify the person, unless they started the discussion, or unless their username is typed out though correct?

  • @businessdad said:
    Are you using a different method to quote text?

    Sorry for the slow response. Here's what it looks like for me: http://d.pr/i/s03J

    When I quote, it doesn't put the @ in front of the username. So I have to manually reference that. Here's what it looks like when I hit the quote button in the comment editor: http://d.pr/i/KcSq

    Sorry for the confusion, but hopefully the images make it clear.

  • Any thought's here?

    Is this something with the theme I'm using? Nebula by @aery ?

  • hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP
    edited February 2013

    my version of quotes does not use @...

    but i also use HTML markup so it can't use @ to define a block quote. it uses < blockquote>someone< /blockquote>

  • @vrijvlinder said:
    hydn

    // Default Preferences
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['ConversationMessage']   = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['AddedToConversation']   = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['BookmarkComment']       = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['WallComment']           = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['ActivityComment']       = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['DiscussionComment']     = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['DiscussionMention']     = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['CommentMention']        = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['ConversationMessage']   = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['AddedToConversation']   = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['BookmarkComment']       = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['WallComment']           = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['ActivityComment']       = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['DiscussionComment']     = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['DiscussionMention']     = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Popup']['CommentMention']        = '1';
    

    These are the default configuration settings for the user notification preferences . The number 1 represents get notification, 0 represents no notification. I think if you paste these into the config.php and put them all as 1 then you will have set the preferences to all send notification. I need someone to confirm this , I am not an expert.

    @vrijvlinder interesting! How can i include categories notification here?

    like:

    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['category-1'] = '1';

    subscribe all to get new post notification when someone posts a new topic under that category?

    Thanks,

  • @vrijvlinder said:
    I think that comes with advanced notifications,

    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/22596

    Thanks, I activated that option, But, those option not enabled for all users. any idea :)

    Thanks,

  • vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

    @Jone
    I believe you have to set permissions for that as well. :)

Sign In or Register to comment.