Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Change homepage title and meta

Little lost here. I have one of the seo plugins for changing title and meta descriptions. It works for everything but the home page which is reading
<meta name="description" content="Welcome to my Vanilla 2 Forum."/> <meta name="keywords" content="forum, vanilla"/>

I can't find this anywhere. Where and how can I change this?

Comments

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

What plugin are you using, at the moment?

• **SEOCompanion **for the meta data on posts. Seems to work well. But on forum home page nothing. Trying **Meta **for homepage which has generated what I want, but I still have the above lines of code showing through in the header.

Have you tried looking for "Welcome to my"?

• Yep, went through a much of cong and locale pages plus the theme. Can't find it!

In such case, it may be in the database.

• I can confirm that google is now indexing the home page with the META and Title tags used via Both the Meta plugin and SEOCompanion which is good :)

However still no closer to finding out how to manually edit the index page to remove the hardcoded tags. Any one have a solution yet?

• you need to search/grep for that string. if it is not in the code in is in the database.

I've not used SEOCompanion.

grep is your friend.

• yes I can confirm that is the DefaultDescription of SEOCompanion, the plugin author has not provided a way to change that, but you could patch it by changing the line

$DefaultDescription= "Welcome to my Vanilla 2 Forum."; // Default Meta Description;

The description is only based on $Sender->Discussion->Body; so that assumes you are on a discussion page, or there is a discussion reference. This is really something you aught to discuss with the plugin author.

grep is your friend.

• @x00 ah thank you! It had never occurred to me that it was the plugin that was creating a default meta tag. Seems it's conflicting with itself. But at least I know where it's coming from now and can fix. Thanks again.

• The page title and meta description are changed through the 'Menus' menu item in the administrative back-end.

1) Choose the page.

2) Go to the 'Page Display' tab.

3) Change the page title via the 'Browser Page Title' input box.

4) Go to the 'Metadata' tab.

5) Change the description via the 'Meta Description' input box.