Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Incomplete word search

In the current release, searching for an incomplete word yields no results, for example if I search for the word "growin", and there is a thread title "growing", no result will return.
Is this different in 2.1? And if not, is it by choice or because it hasn't been considered? And if it hasn't been considered I'd like to request it since that is how search engines and forum searches work.
Thanks!

Answers

• You are only goign to get a good quality search with something like the sphinx search, which requires some technical knowledge.

Mysql search can do incomplete word, but it is very inefficient, it is better to use a proper search index like sphinx.

You are not goign to expect search engine quality searches, you are not a search engine like google, and don't have anything like their resources.

It is usual that this is done as a separate endeavour.

it is very unlikely that vanilla core are going to offer anything more then the basic search, out of the box, otherwise it would not be plain sailing installing the software.

grep is your friend.

• Thanks for the answer x00, but any other forum software (including Vanilla 1) offers incomplete word searching with no extra setup so I don't think that's a good reason. I never had complaints about the speed of the Vanilla 1 search on my fairly large communities.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited February 2013

well vanilla 1 is not in anyway scalable.

you can actually change then nature of the fulltext index. if you forum is tiny you could even make do with old school Like search.

I'm just saying sphinx is a better solution all round. if you can do it.

grep is your friend.

• hbfhbf wiki guy? MVP

sphinx search is definitely the way to go. it offers a lot of capability that is really needed for a modern forum.

• Is this going to be done in any future release? Incomplete word searching is supported in all the popular forum software I've checked on except this one. Better to have a slow feature than no feature in my opinion, and I don't find the other forum software's implementations to be noticeably slow even on very large forums.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@SubJunk said:
    Is this going to be done in any future release? Incomplete word searching is supported in all the popular forum software I've checked on except this one. Better to have a slow feature than no feature in my opinion, and I don't find the other forum software's implementations to be noticeably slow even on very large forums.

I suspect the core searching will not be changed. You have several options as provided above.
    e.g. x00's suggestion or sphinxsearch plugin.

you could even add a google search to your theme that is site specific to your site.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.