Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

SphinxSearch - can't install with 2.1

LeeHLeeH
edited October 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Having some trouble with SphinxSearch and Vanilla 2.1. I've pulled down the plugin, but the install wizard doesn't want to proceed past step 1, the "Detection" phase. Clicking "Save and Continue" appears to do nothing at all—the page doesn't advance to step 2. I've tried installing my distro's SphixSearch package manually, but the results are the same. I'm not given any kind of manual install radio button, since I can't get past step 1.

I can provide more info as needed, but before we get too deep into troubleshooting I suspect the problem may simply be that the plugin doesn't work with 2.1. If this is so, would you please add a note to your requirements page? Thanks :)

Comments

• mcu_hqmcu_hq yippie ki-yay ✭✭✭
    edited October 2012

I kind of expected it not to work with 2.1 since some things were probably gonna be changed.

I'll take a look at it this week sometime. I'll add a note to the requirements

How big is your database? Someone has found that with 4 Gigs of data there is a slowdown somewhere, but it is not replicable on smaller databases (<1Gig)

• fwiw - I have sphinxsearch running on vanilla 2.1 apache ubintu localhost server.

I may have just copied the config of sphinx from vanilla 2.0.18.4 into vanilla2.1 and modified a few paths. it's been so long ago I can't remember.

i noticed a few things - I don't know if any of it is related

don't know if this is a typo or if it should be spelled "assets" throughout.

'{assests_path}'

also in config.php  - don't know if misspelling of  Manual - is an issue.

$Configuration['Plugin']['SphinxSearch']['ManaulDetected'] = TRUE;

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I really like this plugin, but I would advise against using the auto installer (or promoting it), it is something that is less likely to work there are so many variables at play with different setups. I would do it more along the lines of how the wordpress plugin works, and promote that.

In fact I use both using the same port, and a single conf.

grep is your friend.

I would do it more along the lines of how the wordpress plugin works

Wait, are you talking about ]this one](http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-sphinx-plugin/installation/)? I used that as a guide in writing mine. It also has an auto installer (or so the code told me it did). It was obviously written for PHP4 applications and has some features such as blacklisting words that I would like to incorporate latter.

Yea, the auto installer is for people who aren't using a package manager or have their site hosted. I haven't seen anyone having problems with it, except in 2.1, and if the installer does have problems, it will give you an intelligent answer as to what failed. I recommend to use a distro to install it. If not, the plugin pretty much does exactly what a typical install would look like (./configure, make, make install). Output is printed to screen and stopped if errors.

I haven't had any request for it to work on Windows, so I'm going to leave it at that for a while.

• That is basically what I'm saying, orient it towards installing themselves. I fear you are are going to have to support questions that should be fielded by the sphinx team. However that is your choice.

One of the key thing that isn't viable, is chmod/chown in php. In fact if you properly consider your server security. It shouldn't be possible, under most circumstances. You simply can't guarantee that it will be possible, nor should it. In some cases you would expect it to set higher permissions, but what you may get is lower permissions than you currently have, if it changes at all.

You create folders dynamically, but perhaps a better approach would be at least have a skeleton structure, and have them run some shell commands. Or simply take the whole installation outside of the web interface (which isn't the best place for it IMO), then you could run the installer from the command line.

I think it is admirable trying to make the process easier, I'm just trying to save some hair pulling on your part.

grep is your friend.

• GaryFunkGaryFunk Senior Application Developer ✭✭

Well, guess who is going to install this on windows.

I highly doubt that it will install on windows - even if you do the manual option. I've started working on a "lite" version which will be aimed at making it platform agnostic.