Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Moderation tools

Hi all!

I recently installed the Vanilla script in my server with the intention of moving from MyBB. Vanilla is very simple and I really like it but I have a few problems.

The main problem is the lack of moderation tools. I have a big forum and I really need moderation tools like a report system (seen as a plugin called "flag") and ban/kick/warn tools for the moderators, like MyBB has, but I cannot found anything of this. Im just blind? Or is Vanilla having a lack of this stuff?

Thx all!

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

Flagging is available as a plugin via the Dashboard.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

The main problem is the lack of moderation tools

Those are built in options in the dashboard,Roles, Users permissions etc.

(seen as a plugin called "flag")

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/flaggingnotify-plugin

More useful plugins:

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/postapproval-plugin

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/splitmergefe-plugin

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/cleanser-plugin

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/botstop-plugin

Im just blind?

unlikely, you just need to know what to look for...

• @Iagovar said:
    The main problem is the lack of moderation tools. I have a big forum and I really need moderation tools like a report system (seen as a plugin called "flag") and ban/kick/warn tools for the moderators, like MyBB has

We don't have 'mucho' tools like that, but still a couple. The flagging plugin is one of them. The community is working on a 'like, spam, troll' flagging-like plugin. Until then we can use the old flagging plugin.

The ban/kick/warn tool is in the admin privileges. At least of 2.1 it is. It's quite what I expect to have used for a bigger forum too...

I recently installed the Vanilla script in my server with the intention of moving from MyBB.

Uuuuhm... you can convert from MyBB, but this is the list of supported boards:

Vanilla 1.* and 2.*
        vBulletin 3.* and 4.*
        phpBB 2.* and phpBB 3.*
        bbPress 1.*
        SimplePress 1.*
        SMF (Simple Machines) 1.*
        punBB 1.*
        Joomla Kunena

I've seen a couple of threads about converting from MyBB though (first converting to something like phpBB and then to MyBB).

I would first see if you can test out Vanilla 2.1 (locally of course), install some plugins (tagging, buttonbar, markdown) and see if you can alter the default theme (bootstrap theme from kasperisager is nice). By the time you're ready to convert, 2.1 will be going beta (my educated guess).
    You will figure out your needs by then too...

Usually with a normal ('supported') conversion we use the porter plus plugin, otherwise the standard porter plugin. When you want to convert manually (for your local Vanilla 2.1 test), just map the MyBB fields to the Vanilla fields (and actually, then you're halfway a conversion using Vanilla anyways) and pump the data using MySQL queries.
    After that, you will figure out what you need for the real conversion.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    unlikely, you just need to know what to look for...

Nice! Ill try those plugins, thank u!

@UnderDog said:
    Joomla KunenaI've seen a couple of threads about converting from MyBB though (first converting to something like phpBB and then to MyBB).

I would first see if you can test out Vanilla 2.1 (locally of course), install some plugins (tagging, buttonbar, markdown) and see if you can alter the default theme (bootstrap theme from kasperisager is nice). By the time you're ready to convert, 2.1 will be going beta (my educated guess).
    You will figure out your needs by then too...

Usually with a normal ('supported') conversion we use the porter plus plugin, otherwise the standard porter plugin. When you want to convert manually (for your local Vanilla 2.1 test), just map the MyBB fields to the Vanilla fields (and actually, then you're halfway a conversion using Vanilla anyways) and pump the data using MySQL queries.
    After that, you will figure out what you need for the real conversion.

Convrting URL's its not really a problem. I want to start from scratch and I will only made a copy/paste of my best URL's for SEO using a 301 redirection in the .htaccess, but I will have tons of users anyway.

The thing Is that I'm confortable with the moderation Schema of MyBB and Vanilla is not the same at all. I want my moderators to ban, kick and warn people, not me. And something to follow their activity could be also good.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You can assign moderators any role you want. they can flag , ban , delete people once you give them the role in the dashboard. You can also get notifications of such activities. There are many plugins which do what you want. And you can do more by making your own plugins or contracting someone to make one for you.

The thing Is that I'm confortable with the moderation Schema of MyBB and Vanilla is not the same at all.

Yes, it is better because it is more simple and more friendly. People who used other apps that are too complicated are surprised at how simple Vanilla is to set up and to run. And to fix problems if they arise.