Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Insert image asks for Image URL

I am not clear about how to insert an image in Vanilla forum. When I click the "Image" icon in the editor, it asks for the Image URL instead of showing an upload form.

I know We can use 'Attach a File' feature to upload image and then insert it, but that is too confusing for users. How can I call image upload straight from the image icon in the editor?

Tagged:

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited January 2013

it asks for the Image URL instead of showing an upload form.

That is what it does.

I know We can use** 'Attach a File'** feature to upload image and then insert it, but that is too confusing for users.

That is what you need to use to upload, you can post instructions for the users.

How hard can it be to click the attach/upload/choose file button, then select file from computer and hit upload ? Until Drag and drop is included in uploads that is how it is.
    If they can upload a user image, then this works the same.

• 422422 Developer MVP

must be an AOL user

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• You solution works great! and definitely it's not difficult. But it's also not intuitive. When you have an image icon, you will naturally click it to want to upload the image, but then it makes you think. In any case, I will post instructions on how to go about doing it.

• ZhaanZhaan Professional fool ✭✭
    edited January 2013

Really? I would personally find your method more confusing, OP. Then again, I also can't remember the last time a forum allowed me to upload stuff anyway, Vanillaforums.org (and avatars) aside.

• @manish29 said:
    You solution works great! and definitely it's not difficult. But it's also not intuitive. When you have an image icon, you will naturally click it to want to upload the image, but then it makes you think. In any case, I will post instructions on how to go about doing it.

Have you ever seen a forum Wysiwyg that didn't work the same way?

• @Zhaan @DirtyDog @422 Ok, I accept your point. Can I ask you a related question? Currently the 'Attach a File' link appears below the text-area just. How can I possibly move this link above the text area? I would like to move it above the text area and rename the link to "Add Image". So that a user will first look at this link while thinking of adding an image. Please help

• 422422 Developer MVP

use css to do it.

• 422422 Developer MVP

Looking at this, you would need to edit the buttonbar script I think, and move div class="AttchFileWrapper" outside of the container div div class="Buttons" then you could play with the css for class="ButtonBar" make it relatively positioned.

Then add absolute positioning to the div class="AttchFileWrapper"

Thats the simplistic way, you could of course make an icon, etc or even add it as an event within the buttonbar code.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited January 2013

I tried this code on the attach file link in firebug for this forum, so to add it using css:

div.AttachFileLink{
    background:url(http://i49.tinypic.com/15rf50o.jpg);
    width:400px;height:auto;" 
    }

you can make an image with the instructions and a big button. :)

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited January 2013

This is a decades old problem:

“Another problem with XMODEM [circa 1977] was that it required the transfer to be user-driven. Typically this meant the user would navigate on the sender's system to select the file they wanted, and then invoke the transfer from their end using a command in their terminal emulator.” http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XMODEM

• I think this is a good image. I'll set this up. Thanks!

• @manish29 were you able to move the "Attach a File" link for FileUpload to above the text area? I have been staring at fileupload.css for what seems like hours and have only figured out how to indent it further from the bottom.