Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Application Development - How To?

Hello,

I'm trying (since hours) to build my first Application in Vanilla (Garden). Unfortunately the Guides seem to be quite outdated (no images, the descriptions don't fit to the acttal downloaded structure - welcome-app vs skeleton-app).

1. Question: Are there any more updated/detailed Guides than
    http://vanillaforums.org/docs/appquickstart and http://vanillawiki.homebrewforums.net/index.php/Main_Page

2. Question: Any hints why it keeps telling me "Site not found", after i have completed the following steps?

• edited myapp/settings/about.php
  • "installed" the application in the dashboard
  • created /myapp/controllers/myapp.php
    -- the only 2 functions are the initialize-function (from the skeleton) and index() with an echo "hello world"

• "Site not found" after calling http://localhost/vanilla/myapp/

• The Debug-Plugin tells me "BodyClass: 'Dashboard Home filenotfound '"

Thx for your help in advance!

Yours
MMW

Comments

• there is a naming convention call it class.myappcontroller.php

class MyAppController extends Gdn_Controller {

$this->Uses = array('Form');

public function __construct() {
          parent::__construct();
       }

public function Initialize() {

}

public function Index() {
            die('Hello World!');
       }
    }

btw you shouldn't just use echo in a controller. that is why I use die, I could obviously put echo's before die or exit, that is a quick way to do plain text or ajax type responses.

another way to do it is

$this->DeliveryType(DELIVERY_TYPE_NONE); 
     echo "hello world!";
     $this->Render();

another way (JSON)

$this->DeliveryType(DELIVERY_TYPE_DATA); 
     $this->DeliveryMethod(DELIVERY_METHOD_JSON);
     $this->SetData('Message',"hello world!");
     $this->Render();

grep is your friend.

• about.php

$ApplicationInfo['MyApp'] = array(
       'Description' => "MyApp",
       'Version' => '0.1b',
       'RegisterPermissions' => FALSE, 
       'Url' => 'http://yoururl.org',
       'Author' => "Your name",
       'AuthorEmail' => 'you@yoururl.com',
       'AuthorUrl' => 'http://yoururl.com',
       'License' => 'Acme'
    );

grep is your friend.

• thx alot - with your help i managed to create my first dummy-app ^^ I still feel, however, that the documentation of garden/vanilla should be much more detailled and up to date

With Codeigniter i.e. it took me much less time to create a quite sophisticated webapp (even i had never ever used php frameworks before) and I always kinda knew, where i had to/could look something up. This is why i'm currently considering connecting vanillaforums to codeigniter (even if garden probably already includes all necessary classes/methods and would probably be faster as the same db-connection could be used)...

• The database query building is based on code igniter.

grep is your friend.

• MMW said:
    thx alot - with your help i managed to create my first dummy-app ^^ I still feel, however, that the documentation of garden/vanilla should be much more detailled and up to date

You are correct, however.... we are a community. My heart tells me, that when you're writing this app and you cannot find something, after you've found it, document it on the Vanilla Wiki.
    We've been trying to get the Vanilla Wiki going for a while now.
    Yes, CodeIgniter is bigger, has a bigger community, but look at what Vanilla has accomplished. We just need to get the community involved in places where they can help : VanillWiki and soon, after Vanilla 2.1 comes out : The Addons Section.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Actually I'm struggeling hard and i'm not sure whether I'll be able to finish it at all as every step takes hours...

IMO it's not just the size of the community, however. Usually the developers ensure some basic, reliable documentation to attract developers using the software as many well programmed plugins/apps/themes would increase the value of vanilla alot. Unfortunately most addons here seem to be completely outdated and nearly worthless...tbh, if i wasn't kinda forced to use vanilla, i wouldn't...

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited March 2013

Usually the developers ensure some basic, reliable documentation to attract developers using the software as many well programmed plugins/apps/themes would increase the value of vanilla alot.

Open Source means this is what you got now run with it, in other words you develop on what is already there, a solid foundation. That is the value. Something you can develop and grow into whatever you want.

Unfortunately most addons here seem to be completely outdated and nearly worthless...

A few but not all. The ones that matter are still supported and enhanced. plus you can take it and enhance it yourself to make it, whatever you want.
    People who can develop have no problems working with the software. It's a forum software not an audio recording program software, it does not have to be complex....

However you can make it as complex as you can with your coding skills.

if i wasn't kinda forced to use vanilla, i wouldn't

Then, it is not totally worthless :)

• I didn't intend to call vanilla totally worthless :) I'm just frustrated about the documentation and the up-to-dateness of most of the plugins (which kinda forces me to recheck/rewrite every single plugin before using it). On the current stable, completely fresh installation i couldn't even activate the (included) minify-plugin...

If there was a good documentation (which costs the original developers probably just a few days and saves the others thousand of hours), I would pay for vanilla 100 € without thinking twice. That's little money compared to the days it would safe me. The same goes for premium plugins. If I can rely on them and they work fine, idc about a few Euros.

And if all (important) Plugins were at Github, then I'd gladly contribute to their development. Not because i'm such a nice person, but every Change (Pull Request) would be reviewed by 2-3 others, so that I can be sure, that my changes are not causing any unintended consequences.

• well, we can all hope when 2.1 is released, the docs will be updated and a bit more thorough. as far as plugins, A good rule of thumb, if it was updated in the last 6 -12 months, it should work with vanilla 2.0.1.18 and maybe 2.1.x

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• MMW said:

I love productive discussions and this is becoming one, thankfully.

I didn't intend to call vanilla totally worthless :) I'm just frustrated about the documentation and the up-to-dateness of most of the plugins (which kinda forces me to recheck/rewrite every single plugin before using it)

So you re-wrote a plugin and posted it... in the addons section? Did you post bug reports on non-working plugins? Did you go to the plugin page and started a discussion : this plugin is not working with Vanilla version (...) and other plugins : (...) installed...

You found out what wasn't working, so you fixed it, right? How did you fix it? Would you like to share with the rest of the community?

On the current stable, completely fresh installation i couldn't even activate the (included) minify-plugin...

And the error message you received was... and you tried the following steps (...) and (...) but couldn't make it work, right? Did you check any javascript / jquery errors? FireBug?

If there was a good documentation (which costs the original developers probably just a few days and saves the others thousand of hours), I would pay for vanilla 100 € without thinking twice.

Define 'good documentation', do you want source documentation or documentation about the workings of Vanilla itself?

Isn't that what we as a community should be working on?
    Shouldn't we set up a branch on github and make a community effort to document the source code so our great developers can work on the new version of Vanilla?

If you're wondering about the inner workings of Vanilla, I would just make a page on the Vanilla Wiki and then ask a question here. We, as a community, can find out and then document it on the Vanilla Wiki.

I cannot guess which documentation you require, so I cannot help you yet, until you make those Wiki pages.

And if all (important) Plugins were at Github, then I'd gladly contribute to their development. Not because i'm such a nice person, but every Change (Pull Request) would be reviewed by 2-3 others, so that I can be sure, that my changes are not causing any unintended consequences.

Let's work on that for Vanilla 2.1

Look, we are a community, we need to get more guys involved, ask @peregrine if he can lead us and we'll just follow. ask @422 if he can make beautiful themes and follow him, ask @vrijvlinder to keep the peace and follow, ask @businessdad & @x00 to give us great technical information and follow, and so forth and so forth.

We need to help each other. I cannot guess what you need, but there's an open Wiki where you can post what you need (just structure your needs a bit, please) and we'll try to set up a nice documentation. It just takes a little time.

The only thing I can think of right now is converting source documentation to a Wiki. That requires converting real .HTML pages to the Wiki on a regular basis (maybe Wiki format or MarkDown format). If someone can help with that, it would be great.

ask @vrijvlinder to keep the peace and follow

lol I am not sure what that means

P.S. I make themes too :)

• ask @vrijvlinder to keep the peace and follow

lol I am not sure what that means

Keep everyone happy and prevent users fighting or trolling, etc. It's easy. I've been trying to do that for like 3 years now, on here :-)

P.S. I make themes too :)

I knew that, but it was just an example

everything will be better after 2.1 beta (alpha) comes out

We just need to get the community involved more in documentation, testing addons, new themes etc, etc

@UnderDog

Yea I know man, I was just yanking your chain and that image above is what came to mind as an example of my peacemaker skills lmao !!

We just need to get the community involved more in documentation, testing addons, new themes etc, etc

I try my best, given my apprentice status :) but if there is more that I can do , just link me :)