Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Would you embed this forum into Wordpress or not?

todosteamtodosteam New
edited March 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I have a Wordpress blog and a Vanilla forum and I want to give them a similar look.

After reading the Vanilla Staff blog post about the pros and cons about embedding, I still don't know what to do, because I don't know coding.

What are your experiences? Abiously the best way is to customize the forum to look like the blog, but that's out of my possibilities because I don't know coding, so I want to know if there's someone who has been in a similar situation or if you just have a tip for me.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options

There may be other ideas. I personally don't like working on embedded sites. If it were me I might put in a similar banner as your wordpress banner and put a link for home that points to your wordpress in your vanilla menu bar.

And if need be, put other links from wordpress above the vanilla menu bar. You could familiarize yourself with css with a tutorial, and other people on the forum could probably help you with the other.

But this could turn out to be a very interesting thread if people posted links to their sites with what they did when using wordpress and vanilla.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I have standalone and put links like you said, I hated embed too and why embed if it can be on it's own right? maybe for people who want a tiny forum in a 500px wide space. Then I suppose you have no choice... I also styled both to match and you hardly can tell you have just left wordpress to go to Vanilla or back:) I think it's a better user experience.

I have some also embedded in Facebook but the look of FB is simply horrid ...

I recommend you pick a wp-theme with many options like Mantra. Then just clone the styles one way or the other. If you like the wp theme then style the forum the same or vise versa.