Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Comment integration leaves blank space below - Wordpress plugin

I like Vanilla forums, but integrating it with Wordpress seems messy. I am not embedding the forums into my site, but I am trying to integrate the comments. It works, however under the comment box, unless there are comments submitted, it leaves a big blank white space before displaying the "Comments by Vanilla" at the bottom. Why? That looks awful.

It's all in an iframe and I found that it links to js/embed.js in the Vanilla directory. But when I change the height from the giant 1000px to something 600px, it doesn't change.

I'm learning Javascript at the moment, but I don't understand this right now. I don't want the community section of my site to be separate from the rest of the site, but maybe it'll have to be?

Comments

• Options

I noticed this 1000px whitespace as well. Not only is it a large white space, but (for me) it's the only space allowed for comments. Meaning, after 6 or so comments, the earlier comments don't fit in that space, and disappear. I was expecting a scrollbar or page numbers, but no.

This might be a different discussion altogether, but I thought I'd throw that in here as well as it may be related.

• Options

What version of Vanilla are you using? In 2.1, the comments embed does size well and there is an option to change how many comments show up and to send users to the forum after the first page of comments.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• Options

For me, it's the stable version 2.0.18.4.

I also tried changing the 1000px number in js/embed.js, and no dice. That's also where I saw scrolling="no" and tried changing it to yes, and again, nothing happened...

But I guess it's good to hear that 2.1 will/might address this.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Have you tried changing the size in the embed vanilla plugin remote.js?
    find this part almost at the end of that file.

document.write('< iframe id="vanilla'+id+'" name="vanilla'+id+'" src="'+vanillaUrl(currentPath)+'"'+optStr('height', ' scrolling="no"', '')+' frameborder="0" border="0" width="'+optStr('width', '100%')+'" height="'+optStr('height', 1000)+'" style="width: '+optStr('width', '100%', '%spx')+'; height: '+optStr('height', 1000)+'px; border: 0; display: block;" > 

Change the sizes there.

• Options
    StumpyJoeStumpyJoe
    edited March 2013

I'm afraid that didn't work. I tried changing 1000 to 200 and scrolling from no to yes, and still no change...but I didn't think there would be, because I don't have that plugin enabled. That's if you want your forum to display on a Wordpress template (right?), and we're just talking about comment integration at the bottom of a wordpress article...

Hang on a sec...while typing that I thought about enabling the embed vanilla plugin just to see if that would kick things into gear. Modifying the plugin's remote.js still did nothing about that white space at the bottom for comments, but when I modified js/embed.js that did the trick? Like I said above, I tried this before and it didn't work, but now it does (after enabling the embed plugin). I then disabled the embed vanilla plugin, and the iframe is still 600px with a scrollbar (as opposed to 1000px with no scrollbar).

So @Philumptuous try that...enable the "Embed Vanilla" plugin (even if you don't want to embed your forum into Wordpress). Then modify js/embed.js like you (and I) tried before, and see if that works?

• Options

@vrijvlinder the plugin no longer has a remote.js file? I'm using Version 2.0.18.4 and Version 1.1.14 of the WP plugin.

@StumpyJoe just to clarify for anyone reading this, that js/embed.js is in you vanilla forums folder NOT the wp plugin folder (I had to re-read this until I finally understood that)

@Shadowdare how do you have 2.1?

After you change the js/embed.js file the whitespace disappears. If you don't want the horizontal scrollbars, then you have to increase the width of the iframe (lines 193 & 195) to something greater than 100% mine were 105% and 115% respectively. Alternately you can just do scrolling = "no" if you don't want them to appear weird in Firefox. I found 585 to be a good height. Hopefully Shadowdare is correct and 2.1 makes all of this unnecessary.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited April 2013

@vrijvlinder the plugin no longer has a remote.js file? I'm using Version 2.0.18.4 and Version 1.1.14 of the WP plugin.

That file is in the js folder of your application the embedded version is composed of various files it calls from various places, local.js global.js remote.js embed.js plus the other js libraries.

to edit the dimensions of the embedded forum you would edit the remote.js as I pointed out above yes.

• Options

@KCallwood, an alpha or beta release can be downloaded from the GitHub. There will be more bugs than the stable release, of course, but nothing too serious. http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/178403/#Comment_178403

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app