HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

LeaderBoard -first install

Hi peregrine

First, a BIG thank you for developing this addon and i must say I feel honoured to realize that it cames from a simple question :-)

The instalation went smooth on my Vanilla Version 2.0.18.4, the right panel shows the top voted discussions with no problem at all, however I wanna report few issues:

1) As you can see on the attached "beforeLeaderBoard.jpg" screenshot before the install I had the voting box on the left of the discussion title

2) Now, please take a look on the attached "afterLeaderBoard.jpg" . The voting box disapeared and as a layout issue i´ve noticed that there is no separation between the LeaderBoard panel

3) Now the wierd one (please look at attached "cpanelLeaderBoard.jpg"):

After the very first install of LeaderBoard I had a config option at my left sidebar under "Complementos" AND a button at the right list (Manage plugins). After the deactivation and reactivation of the plugin those options are no longer available,wied isn´t It?

Tested via "Embed Vanilla" on FireFox and Chrome

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

thx. for the feedback - but all of your problems - seem specific to your theme.

as for image 1 - I don't see a problem in my default themes. don't know, it may be specific to your theme. call in the css guru @vrjvlinder, who is more patient than me.

as for image 2.

I see no problem with gap between voting leaderboard and other modules - it has proper spacing

to prove it to yourself or me - move it in front of tag module and see if you see the spacing problem.

via this staement in config.php

$Configuration['Modules']['Vanilla']['Panel'] = array('MeModule','UserBoxModule', 'GuestModule', 'NewDiscussionModule', 'DiscussionFilterModule', 'SignedInModule', 'CategoriesModule', 'InThisDiscussionModule', 'BookmarkedModule', 'VotingLeaderBoardModule','TagModule', 'WhosOnlineModule');

as for image 3 - I can't see how the addition of this plugin would impact anything in the dashboard, since it doesn't write to the side menu. Does the problem occur after you totally erase the plugin. View and TEST, and then download it again and install. View and TEST

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• thx. for the feedback - but all of your problems - seem specific to your theme.>

As a quick testing i´ve changed to the Embed Friendly theme and now i have a completly mess :-) All discussions are showing at the right sidebar/panel. (see att.) If i´m not wrong there are some discussions here on this forum regarding the embed theme + vote plugin.

I´ll switch back to Vanilla Default ( i only have these 2 themes ) and continue the tests, ok?

I´ll be back soon :-)
    Thank You

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

LOL !!!! That Vote Plugin needs to have it's css rewired ,

I´ll switch back to Vanilla Default ( i only have these 2 themes ) and continue the tests, ok?

You need to download more themes, you need to have at least 6 different themes to test them all . That is how you learn, trial and error. Variety is the spice of life.

Do not edit the default themes. If you want my help on this , you will need to supply a link to the page. My Crystal ball is being repaired...

After the deactivation and reactivation of the plugin those options are no longer available,wied isn´t It?

Refresh the page and empty the catch. When you disable a plugin, it's options are removed from the panel. If you enable, the options return.

• I've tried tit with default theme and embed friendly - they work fine. It is not the theme, it is your custom modifications. If you remove your customizations - you will see it works fine.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• hi all...thanks for your feddback:-)
    @vrijvlinder

LOL !!!! That Vote Plugin needs to have it's css rewired ,>

is there an almost done work on that?

Do not edit the default themes. If you want my help on this , you will need to supply a link to the page> Sure but right now I´m using the very only one theme that works (for me at least) This is the embed version gazetacidada.com.br/bqq/comunidade-2-2 with this theme everything is fine.

This is the straight url to vanilla,with no wordpress : gazetacidada.com.br/bqq/comunidade/

@peregrine
    Again, thanks for your time but unfortunately the things don´t work as expected with those themes :-( It´s a pitty cauz the embed friendly was my first choice due its responsive layout.

Here follows all the themes tested:

Vanilla: side panel works as expected but the Discuss voting box vanishes off the content look at my first picture attached cdn.vanillaforums.com/vanillaforums.org/FileUpload/14/e7e783efd44e98fe52c05794dc0951.jpg

Embed friendly: both side panel and voting box are a mess

Nebula like Embed Friendly

Sugar (old payed one) working well, no responsive .

The Sugar theme uses a propietary plugin called "CssLess" that allows for client side processing of the CSS Less language, used in Sugar to allow for simple, theme-wide changes if required. (let me kniow if it could be of some interest and i´ll send it)

@vrijvlinder and @peregrine if you want i´ll send you via pm both my wordpress and vanilla credentials just for you take a better look ok?

Thank you very much ;-)

edited March 2013

Not very familiar with those themes asking the authors would be a good idea , about the vote plugin , I can share my own css mods to the Vote Plugin see if they help you.
    I looked at your site and did not see any problem. Maybe it only happens when logged in. Try not to edit the default themes. Just try out more themes. It does not have to be labeled embed friendly to work on an embed. You can make any theme work on embed. It is only a matter of size.

This is the css for the VOTE plugin

div.AnswerTabs {
        border-bottom: 1px solid #999;
        background: none;
        padding: 0  0 0 8px;
    }
    div.AnswerTabs li a,
    div.AnswerTabs li a:link,
    div.AnswerTabs li a:hover,
    div.AnswerTabs li a:active,
    div.AnswerTabs li a:visited {
        display:inline-block;
        line-height: normal;
        -webkit-border-radius: 3px 3px 0 0;
        -moz-border-radius: 3px 3px 0 0;
        border-bottom: none;

-webkit-border-radius: none;
        -moz-border-radius: none;
        background: none;
        border: none;
    }
    .Loading {
       background: url('images/progress.gif') center center no-repeat #fff;
    }
    div.AnswerTabs li.Active a {
        padding: 6px 10px 5px;
        position: relative;
        top: 1px;
        border: 1px solid #999;
        background: #fff;
    }
    div.HeadingTabs div.SubTab {
        font-size:16px;
    }

.StatBox {
        background: #004C9B;
        padding: 5px 5px 0;
        float: right;
        height: 38px;
        text-align: center;
        font-weight: bold;
        font-size: 18px;
        line-height: 1.2;
    }
    .StatBox span {
        display: block;
        font-weight: normal;
        font-size:9px;
        line-height: 1;
        padding-bottom:2px;
        min-width:38px;
    }
    .StatBox,
    .StatBox a {
        color: #99e2fe;
    }
    .StatBox a {
        z-index: 10;
    }
    .StatBox a:hover {
        color: #fff;
        text-shadow: 0 0px 5px #fff;
    }
    .ViewsBox { background: #0065CE; }
    .FollowsBox { background: #0053A9; }
    .AnswersBox {
        background: #0053A9;
        margin-right: 4px;
       border-top-right-radius: 2px;
       border-bottom-right-radius: 2px;
        -webkit-border-top-right-radius: 2px;
        -webkit-border-bottom-right-radius: 2px;
        -moz-border-radius-topright: 2px;
        -moz-border-radius-bottomright: 2px;
    }
    .HasAnswersBox { background: #013b76; }
    .HasAnswersBox a { color: #fff; }
    .VotesBox {
        margin-left: 4px;
       border-top-left-radius: 2px;
        border-bottom-left-radius: 2px;
        -webkit-border-top-left-radius: 2px;
        -webkit-border-bottom-left-radius: 2px;
        -moz-border-radius-topleft: 2px;
        -moz-border-radius-bottomleft: 2px;
    }
    ul.Discussions div.ItemContent a.Title {
        max-width: none;
    }

ul.DataList li.Item {
    }
    ul.DataList div.Options {
        float:none;
        width:auto;
        position: absolute;
        top: 2px;
        right: 208px;
    }
    ul.DataList div.Meta {
        z-index: 5;
    }
    div.Meta span.CommentCount {
        display: none;
    }
    ul.DataList div.Meta strong {
        box-shadow: 0px 0px 2px #777;
        -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 2px #777;
        -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 2px #777;

position:absolute;
        /*
        right: 668px;
        top: 6px;
        */
        top: 24px;
        left: 668px;
        white-space: nowrap;
    }
    ul.MessageList li.Item {
        background:transparent;
    }
    ul.MessageList div.Meta {
    }
    ul.MessageList div.Meta span.Votes {
        left: 90%;
        padding: 0;
    }
    span.Votes a,
    span.Votes span {
    }
    ul.MessageList div.Meta span.Votes span {
        color: #000;
        font-size: 18px;
        line-height: 1.2;   
    }
    span.Votes span {
    padding: 0 4px !important;
    background: #666;
    color: #ccc !important;
    min-width: 36px;
    }

span.Votes a {
        color: #99E2FE;
        background: #004C9B;
    }
    span.Votes a.VoteUp {
        padding: 5px 4px 3px;
        -webkit-border-radius: 3px 3px 0 0;
        -moz-border-radius: 3px 3px 0 0;
       line-height: 100%;
    }
    span.Votes a.VoteDown {
        padding: 3px 4px 5px;
        -webkit-border-radius: 0 0 3px 3px;
        -moz-border-radius: 0 0 3px 3px;
       line-height: 100%;
    }
    span.Votes a:hover {
        background: #00ffcc;
        text-shadow: 0 0px 5px #fff;    
    }

/* Arrow Sprites */
    span.Votes i.ArrowSprite i {
        display: none;
    }
    i.ArrowSprite {
        display: inline-block;
        height: 9px;
        width: 13px;
        background: url('arrow_sprite.png') top left no-repeat;
    }
    i.SpriteDown { background-position: bottom left; }
    a:hover i.SpriteUp {    background-position: top right; }
    a:hover i.SpriteDown {  background-position: bottom right; }

/* Comments */
    ul.Discussions a.Bookmark { display: none; }
    body.Discussion a.Bookmark {
        margin: 2px 6px 6px 8px;
    }
    ul.MessageList li.FirstComment {
    }
    div.AnswerTabs {
        margin-top: 12px;
        padding: 6px 8px 0;
        font-size: 11px;
        color: #aaa;
        text-align: right;
        background: #f5f9ff;
    }
    div.AnswerTabs strong {
        left: 8px;
        font-size: 16px;
        margin-right: 20px;
    }
    div.AnswerTabs ul {
        display: inline-block;
        margin: 0 10px;
    }
    span.Votes a {
    color: 
    #ccc;
    background: 
    transparent;
    }

ul.MessageList div.Meta span.Votes {
    background: url(http://i50.tinypic.com/m8d00w.png)!important;
    left: 90%;
    border-radius:10px;
    }
    ul.MessageList li.Item {
    background: transparent;
    }

• 422422 Developer MVP

how is embed classified as responsive ? lol

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• try V's css and see if that helps.

• @vrijvlinder
    Thank you very much for sharing your voting.css.

It woks well with Vanilla Default, now the discuss´s voting boxes are displayed inside de content div :-)

However with the Embed Friendly and Nebula themes things remains the same as attached cdn.vanillaforums.com/vanillaforums.org/FileUpload/9a/e093a4837a03f7e052d16cfebbb81e.jpg

I´d like to tell for upcoming readers that this behavior seems to be exclusevily due to the Vote plugin and NOT with the vanillaforums.org/addon/1079/voting-leader-board which works very well out of box, ok?

And so, for now i´ll be back to the Sugar theme (I´d love to make it full responsive, but I guess that´s not an esy task).

Thank you peregrine and vrijvlinder for your time and support :-)

The Voting Leader Board rocks ;-)

It woks well with Vanilla Default, now the discuss´s voting boxes are displayed inside de content div :-)

good I am glad it helped :)

However with the Embed Friendly and Nebula themes things remains the same as attached

I suggest you find other themes to work with. I believe it is the author of the themes that would be responsible for supporting their product. I feel I would be imposing .

About the embed friendly, trash your copy and install a new one, maybe you messed it up too much. Any theme will work if embedded, depending on the size of the place you are putting it. Try one of my themes, I recommend Glass because you can change the entire look just by changing the background, and I know my work very well and back it 100%.

• glad V could help you with the css on voting plugin and glad the voting leaderboard plugin worked for you.

• I recommend Glass because you can change the entire look just by changing the background, and I know my work very well and back it 100%.>

i´ll give it a try for sure :-)

Wondering why for god sake the Voting plugin, an almost core one, doesn´t work out of box with 2 of the 3 themes in Vanilla distro.

Well, sorry if this sounds a bit off topic, maybe a good point for another thread.

The problem is that plugins should not interfere with the theme the only styling they would need is spacing but even then it may not work perfect with every theme.

Those of us who make themes also use our themes and test various plugins to make sure they work with the theme but it is impossible to know how it is going to work for everything. That is where the user comes in and helps us perfect the theme by fixing issues that may come up for others.

I am sure that every theme except the default theme has the same problem with the plugin or others . It is because it was designed for the default theme. Plugin makers can't make a plugin to work the same in any theme. But a user can easily modify it to work.

I had the same issue with the Vote plugin and my themes. That is why I know how to fix it for other themes. Sometimes it works but I can't redesign someone else's theme it is not my place. But will gladly help fix small details that are common.

If you find any issues with my themes, please post it in a new discussion and Tag it with the name of the theme. Seems many people have downloaded but I have had no feedback either way and would very much like to get some.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited March 2013

Wondering why for god sake the Voting plugin, an almost core one, doesn´t work out of box with 2 of the 3 themes in Vanilla distro.

In one thread someone asked some questions about voting, you may have seen it and one of the vanilla developers mentioned something to the effect they were moving away from voting (That may be why you don't see it on this forum and why you don't see more recent updates unless there is one on github.). I think reactions replaces voting but that is another ball of wax. Thankful and Liked may work better on your themes and serve a similar purpose. you can always put the # of views in the meta or use the author time view plugin

And the voting leaderboard seems to be a hot commodity:) already 4 downloads. 2 by you, one by me to verify it and one by someone else. I can only imagine there will be 5 or 6 downloads by 2014 :). Luckily it didn't take very long to whip out the code for it.

and one by someone else

Meeeeee!

• GaryFunkGaryFunk Senior Application Developer ✭✭

@vrijvlinder said:
    Meeeeee!

Don't you sleep?

At my old age , cat naps seem to be enough ;)

• @vrijvlinder
    Viva la siesta !!!