Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Spam being sent "You commented on somebody's activity."

I am not sure how to stop this spam, anyone else had this issue?

Would really love some help, and to find a solution

Thanks

You commented on somebody's activity.

[url=http://www.xxxxt/?c=1&p=270]как избавиться от черного цвета волос[/url]

Follow the link below to check it out:
http://inkoutbreak.com/forum/activity/item/2162

Have a great day!

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited March 2013

These are settings that a user can check in their preference pane for notifications. You can also uncheck them from your config.php

// Default Preferences
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['ConversationMessage']   = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['AddedToConversation']   = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['BookmarkComment']       = '1';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['WallComment']           = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['ActivityComment']       = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['DiscussionComment']     = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['DiscussionMention']     = '0';
    $Configuration['Preferences']['Email']['CommentMention']        = '0';

1 means get mail 0 means no mail also as an admin you can check or uncheck what you want to be notified about in the dashboard.

• Thanks.

I am worried that it says YOU commented on somebodys activity that there is something fishy going on. Is there any way to disable comments in activity?

edited March 2013

This activity has to do with you that is why it says you commented. These are user preference settings.

Is there any way to disable comments in activity?

You could hide the comment form using css

body.Dashboard.Activity.index li.CommentForm{display:none;}

body.Dashboard.Activity.index a.CommentOption{display:none;}

or try this red herring that I made up see if it works.If it does let us know so I can declassify it as a red herring .

$Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['ActivityComment'] = FALSE;

• GaryFunkGaryFunk Senior Application Developer ✭✭

@inkoutbreak said:
    I am not sure how to stop this spam, anyone else had this issue?

First of all, it's NOT spam.

Second, just turn it off.

• These are people that did not comment on someones elses activity.... that is why it seems weird "You commented on somebody's activity."

• I am adding $Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['ActivityComment'] = FALSE; thanks

• @inkoutbreak said:
    I am adding $Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['ActivityComment'] = FALSE; thanks

Looks good. Any other hidden configs to turn off Activities?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

@inkoutbreak said:
    I am adding $Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['ActivityComment'] = FALSE; thanks

try

$Configuration['Garden']['Incantation']['RedHerring'] = YES;

it will do the same thing as

$Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['ActivityComment'] = FALSE;

and

jumping up and down 3x with your arms bent at 45 degree.

I don't see anything in the code that would use any of these 3 choices.

The only bad thing about making up and guessing config statements is it will be come legend and will be hard to break the myth and just add lines of useless code to your config.php.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

$Configuration['Garden']['Incantation']['RedHerring'] = YES;

I tried this and got that :

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

It's funny, but posting make believe config statements doesn't help anybody.

You've suckered two people already.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

edited April 2013

You've suckered two people already.

I would like to think of it as opening their mind about how this all works. If the config statement is invalid or is made up, nothing happens . It is ignored , I did not get bonk with the herring one, just had no effect. made the graphic out of disappointment .
    it is like trying to get the oven to know how to cook a rock by just adding rock to the settings configuration when there are no parameters.

I understand that As with $Definitions, $Configurations only work if there is something that can be configured.

To clear this all up :

The only real config settings there are as far as I know for email sending of activity are the ones I posted above.

or try this red herring that I made up see if it works.If it does let us know so I can declassify it as a red herring .

I did warn him that the line I had made up but he could try it , it causes no harm and get's people to get familiar and comfortable editing the config. When they go in they realize all the stuff it contains . We all learn through trial and error.

I think I can't be blamed for someone else spreading my herring which I clearly marked as such...so I only suckered one and then he suckered the other :)

@inkoutbreak said: I am adding $Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['ActivityComment'] = FALSE; thanks

@Anonymoose said:
    Looks good. Any other hidden configs to turn off Activities?

it will be come legend and will be hard to break the myth and just add lines of useless code to your config.php.

Somehow I don't think the urban cyber myth is going leaving this page without some fight .

Important Notice:

Inputting arbitrary configuration statements in your config.php will yield 0 results unless there are existing parameters that can be configured.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

At this point I may be beating a dead horse.

@vrijvlinder

If the config statement is invalid or is made up, nothing happens

True. We are entitled to out own opinions, and you have provided alot of valuable help to many users. I am not trying to throttle your help. Just a bit of restraint on posting make believe config statement and definitions, no matter how benign they might be.

However, I do believe it is bad practice to post $Defintions and config statements that "are made up" and haven't been tested as to their usability. It just leads to more confusion in a plethora of config statements and definitions. Experimentation is great, but not all users read or understand the totality of comments (due to language barriers,etc).

It's great to post creative ideas or try to help people, we all get benefit from people posting ideas. I just believe it is bad practice especially in the case of config statments and definitions to post things that are made up. One possible proper way to do this is to search the code to see if the translation or config exists in the core or a plugin, test it and post it. If there is not time to test it, at least verify that the config or definition exists.

Sometimes "magical incantations" are not a benefit. I can see the advantage of posting all kinds of css suggestions, and testing things. But adding "madeup configs and definitions" not helpful ever because it is always going to be "Guessing".

I think I can't be blamed for someone else spreading my herring which I clearly marked as such...so I only suckered one and then he suckered the other :)

exactly. the myth spreads by itself. that is why it shouldn't be started.

@Anonymoose

No was not trolling if you would read the whole discussion please , I do not appreciate being marked as a troll I do not deserve it , I am done here this is unacceptable to mark your own people from your community a troll ,I have had it and I quit !!

Thank you all for my education and good luck with everything.

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited April 2013

@Anonymoose said: This is the classic definition of what message board trolls do: post bogus stuff to get 'a rise' out of others who take their comments at face value.

@Anonymoose said:

The way it is worded made it seem like it was going to work, just not in all setups, or Vanilla versions, but that it is definitely something worth trying on a 'test this out and see if it works for you' basis.

Nice, now I see you are retaliating by marking my comments about the issue as abuse. Real good sport. First you post bogus advice, now you harass others about it.

• All will be well soon.

• @Anonymoose you are trolling by making such an issue over this. It is over move on.

grep is your friend.

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited April 2013

@x00 said:
    It is over move on.

It looks like we have moved on, thanks to @peregrine diplomacy.

@x00 said:
    Anonymoose you are trolling by making such an issue over this.

You're a bit late in the game.