Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Remove Title

edited April 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi. I want to show the question itself, and not just the title on the main page. I also want to remove "title".

Heres is some examples:

Thanks for all help i can get!

Comments

• KasperKasper Vanilla Staff
    edited April 2013

How about changing "Tittel" to "Sammendrag" instead? Or "Spørsmål" for that matter if it makes more sense.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• but that does not help if i want the users to see the actual question, not just a title.

• KasperKasper Vanilla Staff
    edited April 2013

What it would do is encourage them to type in the actual question as the title

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

• That could work. But then i still got two boxes, and that is confusing for the visitors. It must be something i can change so that it displays the question and not the title, but i can't seem to find it.

• Display Discussion body instead of Title

Modify your theme to display the discussion body. In file vanilla/views/discussions/helper_functions.php, replace

<?php echo Anchor($DiscussionName, $DiscussionUrl, 'Title'); ?>

with

<?php
      // TODO Improvement - Truncate Discussion body after a specific amount of characters
      $DiscussionBody = Gdn_Format::Text($Discussion->Body, false);
      echo Anchor($DiscussionBody, $DiscussionUrl, 'Title');
    ?>

Remove Title field from the New Post form

Title is a required field, it cannot be left empty. You can hide it using CSS, if you like, but you must then implement a handler for DiscussionModel::BeforeSaveDiscussion event to fill it before saving the Post.

Example (untested)

public function DiscussionModel_BeforeSaveDiscussion_Handler($Sender) {
      $FormPostValues = &$Sender->EventArguments['FormPostValues'];

$FormPostValues['Name'] = 'Some value for the title';
    }

Suggestion

If you combine the two solutions, you can solve both problems in one shot, with less work. Here's what you could do.

1- Hide the Discussion Title from the New Post with CSS
    2- Transform the Discussion Title into an excerpt of its body

public function DiscussionModel_BeforeSaveDiscussion_Handler($Sender) {
      $FormPostValues = &$Sender->EventArguments['FormPostValues'];

// Extract an excerpt of 50 characters from the Discussion body
      $DiscussionBodyExcerpt = substr(Gdn_Format::Text($FormPostValues['Body'], false), 0, 50);
      $FormPostValues['Name'] = $DiscussionBodyExcerpt;
    }

This way, you do not need to change vanilla/views/discussions/helper_functions.php. The Discussion title will be displayed as usual, but it will contain a snippet of the body.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2013

it is possible to do with a plugin or themehook. You would have to format the substituted title as Text only and truncate it.

You could use DiscussionModel_BeforeSaveDiscussion_Handler

You would change the Name field e.g. $Args['FormPostValues']['Name'] = SliceString(Gdn_Format::Text($Args['FormPostValues']['Body']),100);

You could then hide the form field.

That is pretty much all the help I can give you.

grep is your friend.

• Thank you so much businessdad! It now displays the body. Great! I think i can stick with the title after all.