Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Replacing vanilla search with Google search

Hello,
can someone tell me how i can replace vanilla default search with Google search?

Answers

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited April 2013

Instead of replacing why not just add a google search bar on top or below the forum search?
    Just make the custom google search bar and paste the code into your theme's default .master.

• Options

I prefer to have just one search field, as a user I will never search twice in a website. Moreover, vanilla's default search is not useful.

• Options

Yes, there is a plugin called Vanoogle. It will use Google's custom search bar instead.

• Options
    edited April 2013

Please tell me where to insert google search code "Code from adsense" inside default.master.php file

<form class="form-search js-search-form" action="http://forum.site.com/search" id="global-nav-search"
    style="display:block" name="Search" method="GET">

`<span class="search-icon js-search-action"> <i class="nav-search"></i> </span>`
              `<input class="search-input" type="text" id="search-query" placeholder="Search Questions and Discussions" name="Search">`

`<div class="dropdown-menu dropdown-menu-dark typeahead"> </div>`
             `<!--  <input type="hidden" name="cx" value="partner-pub-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" />`
                 `<input type="hidden" name="cof" value="FORID:10" />`
                 `<input type="hidden" name="ie" value="UTF-8" /> -->`
            `</form>`
          `</div>`
            `<?php`

`

vanoogle plugin is not what I am looking for :(

• Options
    SrggamerSrggamer HardCore Gamer ✭✭✭

Replace the previous search with your search.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@ahmedaladdin said:
    Please tell me where to insert google search code "Code from adsense" inside default.master.php file

Look for < div id="Panel"> if that is where you want the search bar. And paste the code there. Then find the code for the search

<?php
                        $Form = Gdn::Factory('Form');
                        $Form->InputPrefix = '';
                        echo 
                            $Form->Open(array('action' => Url('/search'), 'method' => 'get')),
                            $Form->TextBox('Search'),
                            $Form->Button('Go', array('Name' => '')),
                            $Form->Close();
                    ?>

And either paste the new bar in this section instead of the above, or remove it.

• Options

@ahmedaladdin said:
    can someone tell me how i can replace vanilla default search with Google search?

following link:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/21676/penetrating-google-into-built-in-search-box