Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Bitcoins?

Has anyone got this modded so one can trade karma for Bitcoins?

Comments

• There is no exchange rate. You could buy karma, but karma on one site is different from karma on another. It worth is entirely based on domain specific.

In fact you don't even have to call it karma.

Although you can buy karma, karma is really an incentive, or reward. More so than a universal currency. If you make it too easy you buy karma you destroy the insensitive to do whatever.

grep is your friend.

• SrggamerSrggamer HardCore Gamer ✭✭✭

@x00 So we may change from Karma to lets say ------------------ GOLD

• adriadri New
    edited April 2013

I guess where I was going was to see if someone was successful in modifying the code. I am not a super coder, but I will try to find my way. I want to let members earn Karma for doing "good" such as having their answer accepted. In return with this Karma they could redeem for Bitcoins in the marketplace from a pool of Bitcoins I would provide. I guess I would need to create an internal exchange rate like 1 karma = 0.25 BTC. In essence, it would be a kind of Bitcoin faucet that thanks users for helping the community.... God only knows how long it will take to build this out, but I know it would be an awesome add-on. Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree with this so @x00 or anyone else I appreciate your thoughts or how you would tackle said addon :)

• Well you could do it as a product type, in the market place.

You can already set a variable quantity and set value. You would set up the value as 0.25 and set the quantity as variable. You can also include some html such as images.

Then the payload would be to connect to the bitcoin exchange, or if it is manual processing some communication. Note you will have to validate and ensure security. So you could also include fields for this in the product type, or some other interface.

Have a look at the the other product types for examples. like Purchase Karma, Purchase Invites.

grep is your friend.

• Thanks so much -- I'll take a stab at it

• would like to see a way to add bitcoin payment with this plugin.

• Me too... Bitcoins is something really helpfull to add it as a payment gateway in this plugin.

• I'm not actively developing Markeplace ATM sorry no time. Time=money.

If you want to send me a PR....

https://github.com/x00/MarketPlace-Vanilla-Plugin

You can add payment gateways

https://github.com/x00/MarketPlace-Vanilla-Plugin/tree/master/gateways

Note stripe also has bitcoin so thsi would probably be th simplest, however you could add a separate gateway too.

Regarding turning karma into bitcoin. marketplace was never an exchange, it si not even a proper ecommerce solution. What you could do is create a product type plugin for bit coin.

Personally I don't really have plans to take markeplace any further, I would be happy to hand the project over to someone else if they are interested.

Same goes for KarmaBank. I think as a concept I have taken it as far as it can go. There are better gamification option like YAGA IMO. However if you think you can make more of it then, by all means.

I can't offer support, so you will have to interpret the code. It could do with some restructuring and would need testing against the latest framework.

grep is your friend.