Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Getting Bonked on Creating Cleanser List

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling a couple of times now.

I'm on Vanilla 2.0.17.10 and Cleanser 2.1.1. I set default to 0, RoleID to "Applicant" and Action to "create cleanser list" and then hit submit.

Bonk.

Any ideas?

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Ok you need to update to vanilla 2.0.18.8 for one due to security issues.

• GMSkarkaGMSkarka New
    edited April 2013

Crap. Wonderful. I have an extensive custom theme, etc. and the various upgrade instruction pages and threads are full of the usual Vanilla experience, combining occasionally incomplete and/or inpenetrable explanations, people posting saying that they've followed instructions yet have gotten Bonks, etc.

Can you give me the clearest step-by-step you possibly can to how I can update without losing my design, my users, their posting histories, etc.?

Forum: http://intothefarwest.com/forum/

• UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited April 2013

You are in luck. 2.0.18.8 only replaces files and not your custom themes, etc. It only replaces a couple of files.

1. Backup

2. Download 2.0.18.8 from the website

3. Upload the new files to your site replacing current files. Check the update announcement for only changed files if necessary. http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/180288/#Comment_180288

4. There is no database update, so access your site again

You can see in your index.php that the new version is 2.0.18.8 and same goes for your admin section. You can see the version number there too...

You still need to fix the Bonk error, besides this security update...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

for 2.0.17.x versions I think you need to run

utility/update

after the upgrade.

The way I figure if a person can't read documentation on bonks in the wiki or the official documentation - things will always be incomprehensible to them.

or even possibly underdog's user signature.

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/errors

So - there is really NO EXCUSE for saying you get a bonk on this forum - only the error message you receive.
    Because bonk tells us nothing to help you usually.

the reason you get a bonk is probably because you didn't read step 5 in the readme.txt in the plugin. but I'm just guessing - because you didn't provide the error message - just the "Bonk" message that is pretty useless for helping someone.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• The way I figure it, if you're not condescending, the community will be more welcoming.

Update completed, thanks Underdog.

Bonk issue resolved as per instructions, thanks peregrine.

The update solved the issue with Cleanser, too. Despite the insulting tone from peregrine, I'll go ahead and donate. Please consider less pissyness in future.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@GMSkarka said:

Despite the insulting tone from peregrine, I'll go ahead and donate. Please consider less pissyness in future.

You are mistaking sarcasm with arrogance, peregrine is the biggest contributor here and without him people would be lost. You need to understand that your issue has come up many times in the past and sometimes it gets old having to repeat the same thing over and over and people don't take the time to search for existing answers .

peregrine is a great person and tells it like it is. If you had been here for over a year answering the same question a million times you would also be aloof and possibly irritated .

It is imposible to know the tone of someone through writing. I don't see where he is being condescending or insulting.

Remember you came here for help. Those who need help should not bite the hand that helps them. For you might need their help again in the future.

I am glad you got it to work.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited April 2013

@GMSkarka

You seem to be under the impression you are talking to Vanilla staff, rather than community volunteers.

Please consider less pissyness in future.

Something you might bear in mind yourself.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited April 2013

Bonk issue resolved as per instructions, thanks peregrine.

great.

The update solved the issue with Cleanser, too.

cool!

Despite the insulting tone from peregrine,

• sorry. the bonk messages with no details - drive me BONKERS.
    • I still think there should be a link in the bonk message page that directs frum owners to

http://vanillaforums.org/docs/errors

It says what to do next, it would solve a lot of issues like this and help reduce the questions - bonk - what should I do.

I'll go ahead and donate.

fantastic. @GMSkarka

• You saw the value of the plugin and decided to donate,
    • I appreciate it. I received your donation.
    • I will add you to the list of contributors and try to give you more personalized help in the future, if you have future questions. (As I will try to do for all people who make donations)

• I am planning on keeping a list of all donators (and trying to provide more personalized help).

• it's great when people who see the value in plugins, actually decide to contribute to people who developed the plugins. It's an incentive to keep adding plugins.

Please consider less pissyness in future.

for you (and others), I'll attempt to meet your hopes and expectations. But i have my failings too! I am not nearly as polite as V, hgtonight and Kasper and whu606. I'll try to learn from them.

My apologies to you GMSkarka for any remarks you saw unfit.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Cool, tuna (you know who you are). thank you also for your donation. don't know your screenname.

• @whu606 said:
    You seem to be under the impression you are talking to Vanilla staff, rather than community volunteers.

Not at all. That's why I said "the community would be more welcoming" without the condescension.

@peregrine said:
    My apologies

Thanks, I appreciate that. And thanks again for your work.