HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Not showing in Firefox? And no show on disabling categories in sidebar

Hey, thanks for a great plugin! Lots of features and it all seems to work like a charm.
I had a few issues though (and I must say I am using Vanilla 2.1b1):

-Firefox on Mac does not show the ad images; it just shows empty space

-Uploading didn't work in my system so I had to FTP and use URLs

-When disabling categories from showing up in the sidebar, it also disables the ads from showing up altogether. Maybe the code should reside somewhere not affected by that setting

If you can help me with that, I'll know which is my favorite Vanilla plugin...

Comments

• x00x00 MVP
    edited April 2013

and I must say I am using Vanilla 2.1b1

Untested. If it works good, but it is not supported.

Firefox on Mac does not show the ad images; it just shows empty space

Ad blocker?

There is no client side code unless embedding, so it make no difference, what browser it is it is just an image.

When disabling categories from showing up in the sidebar, it also disables the ads from showing up altogether. Maybe the code should reside somewhere not affected by that setting

Not sure I follow. It can only affect that placement, it shouldn't affect other placements.

grep is your friend.

• Yes it all seems to work well in 2.1b1 as far as I can tell.

Indeed you're right - I installed Adblock a while ago, disabled on my own domain but I installed the forum on a test domain... just disabled it there too, and bingo! Sorry for overlooking the obvious.

And now that I sorted that, I see that the ad does in fact show up even when 'Do not display the categories in the side panel' is activated.

So that all makes this post sort of redundant, though I hope some more people will now try Apt Ads because it really is a useful plugin if you want to show any rotating banner content, I am using it mostly to plug content from my main website. Thanks for the feedback!

• I did consider, randomising to try and beat adblocker, thing is you have to change of lot of variables, and there is no guarantee.

On the other hand it isn't so blacklisted that it is an auto exclusion, it is more heuristic, or even more common accidental manual blocks.

grep is your friend.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited April 2013

Just remove the word advertisement , then it should bypass ad blocker.

• @vrijvlinder said:
    Just remove the word advertisement , then it should bypass ad blocker.

There is more to it than that, but certainly it doesn't help.

grep is your friend.

Yea I am sure it is not that simple. I did read somewhere that that adblockers zero in on the words ad and advert and advertisement . Probably not the only thing. Though. But seems to work for me removing the word.

edited May 2013

@x00

I noticed a bug in Vanilla 2.1b1 which makes your plugin not work, I found that the user exception was wrong in the library core of 2.1 in the class.userexception.php

this is what comes with 2.1

public function __construct($Message, $Code = 400, $Previous = NULL) {
    parent::__construct($Message, 0, $Previous);

this is what comes with 2.0 and fixes the issue.

public function __constuct($Message, $Previous = NULL) {
    parent::__construct($Message, 0, $Previous);

Not sure what can be changed in Apt Ads to be compatible with this in the future w/o having to replace that file with the old version one. I replaced it and it works now on 2.1.

• It can not been tested for 2.1

grep is your friend.