Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Is Vanilla Hosted Service running 2.0.18.8? Is anybody running 2.1b1 in a production environment?

I have been playing around with a fresh installation of 2.0.18.8 for days, now I have 2.1b1 running since yesterday, and I am wondering if starting a new site now with 2.1b1 makes any sense, or if I should stick with 2.0.18 till 2.1 is ready.

I do not have good experience with upgrading software. Is the upgrade from 2.0.18.8 to 2.1 expected to be painless? I intent do use only the really required plug-ins for now, means some which came with the base package and things like quoting, file upload, sitemap and some other essential ones (if that makes any difference).

Tagged:

Comments

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@MasterOne

This site is certainly using a version of 2.1

The software is still Beta, so not really recommended for production sites.

The upgrade process has always been made painless by the Vanilla team, and I can't see any reason this one should be different.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

@MasterOne said:
    I am wondering if starting a new site now with 2.1b1 makes any sense, or if I should stick with 2.0.18 till 2.1 is ready.

It really depends on your confidence in dealing with possible issues. The "b" in Vanilla 2.1 stays for beta, which means that the software can (and it probably does) still contain bugs. We don't know what the extent of such bugs may be, therefore you must take this into account and be ready to deal with possible issues.

Personally, unless you are ready to fiddle with the code, I would recommend to stick to 2.0.x until 2.1 "goes gold".

• As it seems, this forum is running on 2.1a39. Not considered a production site?

2.1b1 certainly has a lot of improvements (although I am unsure about the new default template), and I am having a hard time deciding if it's really worth sticking with 2.0.18.8 for a new installation at that point.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@MasterOne

Everyone needs to make their own decision.

I guess the Vanilla team back themselves to resolve any glitches pretty quickly.

If you use 2.1 in a production environment, and something goes wrong, you may well not find anyone able or willing to help you on here.

• I've been using 2.1 in "production" for more than a year now at the Chronicles of George forums, and just recently upgraded to the 2.1b1 release. It's perfectly usable, though you have to be willing to get your hands dirty in tracking down error messages. Most of the problems I've had have been with misbehaving plugins, not core functionality.

The forums here are quite friendly and I've gotten a lot of help.

• @LeeH said:
    I've been using 2.1 in "production" for more than a year now at the Chronicles of George forums, and just recently upgraded to the 2.1b1 release. It's perfectly usable, though you have to be willing to get your hands dirty in tracking down error messages. Most of the problems I've had have been with misbehaving plugins, not core functionality.

Yes, I already have stumbled over your forum on the search for info :)

The core seems to operate flawless so far, didn't play around with plug-ins though. Can you tell with which plug-ins you have experienced problems on 2.1b1?