Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Commenting Inserts Discussion Title, Doesn't Show Globally

Hey guys. I've been trying to set up a new forum, and had played around for a while with the release version (2.0.18.x). I was happy with it, but want to see what was in the most up to date stuff.

I set up a git clone for the most recent changes on my localhost, and everything was going swimingly. Then I encountered this bizarre error. My admin account started a topic, to which my secondary user account responded with a simple text reply. But instead of showing the comment reply to my user, it looks as if it's inserting the discussion header into the discussion replies, doesn't show my comment, and if you go back to "discussions" doesn't even show that my user did anything.

I have no idea what's going on. SS included below. Any help?

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2013

I would recopy the download source. you probably have some misplaced helper files or something.

you say 2.0.18.x

but it looks like 2.1b1 or 2.1a something

you need to be clearer with your versions - otherwise it means nothing - newest latest , .x etc

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• The ajax will return whatever the post url retrieves, assuming it is a comment.

My guess is due to your server routing, it is being directed to some other controller, which is why the comment is not posted.

that looks like an entry is the discussion list.

do you have any special rewrites, or routing?

You can also check where is is going, by disabling javascript.

grep is your friend.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@Lark

I think when I had this with a test install of 2.1 I had to add this to the config.php file

$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = TRUE;

• above would make some sense. however this should not happen on a clean copy, of 2.0.18.8

perhaps, the page was not refreshed, when config changes were made.

grep is your friend.

• LarkLark
    edited May 2013

Gah. Sorry to be confusing. I originally had the stable version, on which this issue wasn't appearing, then upgraded (recreated the whole thing) to the latest git version.

I didn't change anything from the initial pull, aside from verified plugins, which I think I had actually disabled in that SS.

Edit: Just checked. Current version is 2.1a40

• looking at the above screen shot that is clearly not 2.0.18. I think you are right @whu606

grep is your friend.

• Best avoid alpha version, use the beta if you must, or stick to 2.0.18.8

grep is your friend.

• Alright....newb question, would the beta version just be https://github.com/vanillaforums/Garden/tree/2.1 ?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2013

you can easily tell the version by looking in the index.php in any release.

just look and see with the link you suggest. then you will know for sure.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Yep! My question was more which branch in the git repo was the "beta." Then I saw the big post about "2.1b Release." My bad.

• Going back to the beta version fixed everything. Thanks for the help.

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

@Lark said:
    Going back to the beta version fixed everything. Thanks for the help.

For future reference, I think this bug may have been caused by the used of the bittersweet theme ; a theme designed for 2.1

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• For future reference, I think this bug may have been caused by the used of the bittersweet theme ; a theme designed for 2.1

I can post with bittersweet theme and rewrite urls - TRUE or FASE

without getting same error in 2.1b1