Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Adding a color background to quote

Great addon. Easy to fix it to make it work for vanilla 2.0 - My question is where can I edit so that the background of the quoted text is grey? When you originally click the quote button it highlights the quoted text blue (found that in the .css) but once you post, the color highlight doesn't stick around. I'd like to grey the BG so that its easy for users to see what is quoted and what isn't. Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

did you try adding this to your custom,css ?

blockquote.Quote, div.QuoteText {
    padding: 10px 10px 10px 15px;
    background: #666;
    border-left: 6px solid #222;
    color:#fff;
    text-shadow:0 1px 0 #000;
    font-size:15px;
    font-style:italic;
    font-weight:700;
    }

• I don't seem to have a custom.css - I found one under themes/Embedfriendly (if I add it in there, will it apply to all themes?

no each theme has it's own custom.css except the default theme. You need to download some themes and install them and add this code to which ever one you like, it is possible one already has this code . If not you just add it and change the stuff to your needs.

• What if I want to use the default theme though? lol

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP
    edited May 2013

@nickldavis

Follow the instructions here: http://vanillaforums.org/docs/themequickstart Part 1

Then add the declaration(s) you would like to change to custom.css.

custom.css can contain a single declaration, if that is all you want to change.

All the other css rules will come from the default Vanilla css file (or from plugins).

For what you asked, you'd actually only need

blockquote.Quote, div.QuoteText {
    background: #666;
    }

or whatever colour you wanted.

Now you have a custom theme, in case at a later stage you want to make other css changes.

• You guys are awesome, thanks for the help, I got it just how I wanted. Appreciate it!

• How about removing the massive gap that shows up between the quoted text and the response text (see attached, space marked with red)?

gap.jpg 36.3K

How about using firebug to inspect the element and use what you find to edit what you need? It is what I would use to tell you what you would need to do. So by pass the middle people and look for yourself . You will be glad you did :)

http://getfirebug.com

• DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭

Error message •
    The addon could not be enabled because it generated a fatal error:
    Quotes is missing the following requirement(s): Vanilla 2.1a.

My version is ('APPLICATION_VERSION', '2.0.18.4') can it be made to work on this version?

• @vrijvlinder said:
    How about using firebug to inspect the element and use what you find to edit what you need? It is what I would use to tell you what you would need to do. So by pass the middle people and look for yourself . You will be glad you did :)

http://getfirebug.com

Simply put: Because I don't know how to find or do anything in firebug or what it's actual purpose / capabilities are.

I see, well if you had said it was because you are illiterate and can't read I would understand.

However you basically said you don't want to read the instructions and claim incapacity and ignorance. You do realize that does not make sense right?

I gave you the link , read up , I had to , everyone had to. It is by far the only tool you will need to solve your problems. It is the oracle of all things source code.

If you refuse to use this or learn about it, I am afraid you are beyond help. Better hire someone then. It is your best bet under the circs. :)

• Well, thanks for the help. Maybe from now on instead of commenting on people's questions you can just paste the firebug link and tell them to read up like the almighty forum hero that you are.

@DenisS said:
    Error message •
    The addon could not be enabled because it generated a fatal error:
    Quotes is missing the following requirement(s): Vanilla 2.1a.
    My version is ('APPLICATION_VERSION', '2.0.18.4') can it be made to work on this version?

Yea just remove the version requirements off the plugin. It should work...not the same as 2.1 but works.

• DenisSDenisS My brain hurts Buriram ✭✭

@vrijvlinder said:
    Yea just remove the version requirements off the plugin. It should work...not the same as 2.1 but works.

Yes i found a thread that suggested this:>>>
    'RequiredApplications' => array('Vanilla' => '2.0.18.4'),

And it works great Thanks, I'm trying to learn but hard at 66 years old ;-)

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@nickldavis

tbh, pretty much any thread asking about custom styling will eventually lead to a suggestion that the user investigates Firebug for Firefox (or other inspect element tools.)

Once someone gets how to use it (and it's not a steep learning curve) they are then in a position:

a) to pretty much do any styling they feel they want

b) to lend a hand on here from time to time by answering a question they know the answer to

The vast majority of respondents on here are users of Vanilla like yourself.

Mostly, I believe, people answer questions on here because they get help themselves when they need it, and so don't mind sharing that back.