Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Freelancers available to upgrade an existing theme?

Hello,

I'm very close to purchasing the Silicon theme on ThemeForest, but it is falling a bit behind in updates. I really think this would be a perfect fit for a forum I want to set up at NE1UP.com, updated with a few functionalities enabled. I can certainly get it set up, but upgrading the theme compatibility is above my pay grade.

Depending on your level of interest and what I can afford as a single parent, would love to investigate making a few small changes and additions that I think would fit my site and that forum very well. My site is at NE1UP.com but is mostly a play social search engine right now. I've been looking into building a community for my users for some time, and can't afford the big players like Xenforo - but don't need to when I see something as streamlined and functional as Vanilla and that theme.

I found this list of possible developers. Forgive me for trying out one of the newer things I love on forums, the mentions! @lifeisfoo, @businessdad, @shadowdare, @aery, @ddumont, and @peregrine.

Are there any other reputable freelancers/shops out there that don't charge an arm-and-leg?

Thanks!

Comments

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited May 2013

Are there any other reputable freelancers/shops out there that don't charge an arm-and-leg?

some just take one of your arms, some only take a leg.

I suspect these guys are reasonable considering all the free work they do providing help to users on the forum with theming. If i left anybody out - add your name.

for themes - kasperisager and 422 and vrjvlinder

I, Peregrine, don't do themes and I don't provide quotes, all I do is act on requests for possible plugins. if people publicly pledge an amount to contribute for a particular plugin, I do it if I can and if the pledges are reasonable. And then I upload plugin to the community. I gave up on people asking how much if I said $25 it was too much, if I said $10 it was too much. If I said one cent then they would say ok, but since I'm paying can you also do this and this. So that's your answer as far as I go.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Forgive me for trying out one of the newer things I love on forums, the mentions!

Then you should try out the mentionimagerecognition plugin ..... when it comes out :)

What kind of theme upgrade are you looking for? the best approach is to download a bunch of them and see which you like then adapt it to your needs.

I would say to try Kasper's themes they are solid, if you want more snap to the look a more customized look with cool buttons and such check mine out.

If you want a custom theme, please have an idea of what you want. Dark light wide narrow, think of your theme as a girl you would want to date. must be attractive or minimal but smart ?

• @vrijvlinder said:
    I would say to try Kasper's themes they are solid, if you want more snap to the look a more customized look with cool buttons and such check mine out.

@vrijvlinder, I LOVE your themes! I really love a very simple, streamlined, functional look. I think HackerNews looks beautiful, ya know? Haha. I want to provide my users with something fast and mobile-friendly, I have absolutely bookmarked several of your themes as really solid and it's super great to see you actually responding to me, thanks!

Well, as I said, I really like the Silicon theme on ThemeForest, it has just fallen behind on updates and I want to ensure it works with certain plugins. http://www.secondwindprojects.com/silicon/discussions - like I said above, I just really like the very simple/functional look, the register/login and alerts up at the top after signing in...just a very mobile-friendly theme and unique looking.

@peregrine - the community is lucky to have someone like you, and that's a GREAT way of figuring out where and how you spend your time developing! We should have a WordPress crowdsource/fund site. ;-) I was an apprentice falconer when I was younger, is your username related to a love for raptors in some way?

Thank you both!

just a very mobile-friendly theme and unique looking.

a normal theme is very hard for it to be mobile friendly unless you make it so. Try some of my mobile themes, I think I am the only mobile theme maker here. That I know of. Try GlassMobile and Mobile, they are very good themes , one is based on tpl framework and the other is a new php mobile them I made GlassMobile, almost all plugins work with it and it is easy to customize further. Then you can also use peregrine's mobile theme switcher to switch css styles on the fly.

That way you can test it and switch the theme without having to put it in the config every time.

streamlined, functional look and unique looking.

I find it hard to mix all those words and imagine what it is I am looking a lol

but I am sure there is something for you in the themes closet. You can take any design from any site and just clone it. Pick it apart and replace the names with vanilla names and such.

For the kind of streamlined barebones look use clone the default theme . Or find one that looks very close to what you want and edit it . Just stay away from bad themes. Not that they look bad, just that they have problems.

• businessdadbusinessdad Stealth contributor MVP

Thanks for the mention, but I don't work with themes, unless I absolutely have to. Very simply, they are not my field. I'm sure that @kasperisager, @vrijvlinder and @aery would be able to help you.

• KasperKasper Scholar of the Bits Copenhagen Vanilla Staff

I'd be happy to help out if it's just a couple of tweaks that can be done over the weekend - I'm afraid my schedule doesn't allow for anything too extensive though. Shoot me a line if you're interested, you can find my email in my siggy.

Kasper Kronborg Isager (kasperisager) | Freelance Developer @Vanilla | Hit me up: Google Mail or Vanilla Mail | Find me on GitHub

edited June 2013

@kasperisagerkasperisagersaid:
    I'd be happy to help out if it's just a couple of tweaks that can be done over the weekend - I'm afraid my schedule doesn't allow for anything too extensive though. Shoot me a line if you're interested, you can find my email in my siggy.

Awesome @kasperisagerkasperisager

and I am working on the mentionimagerecognition, which I think I will rip the quotes plugin for some handy code ;)

it will be called quotedmentionuserimagerecongnition :)

• aeryaery Gtricks Forum in 2.2 :) ✭✭✭

I will be happy to help for minor changes :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Love how strong and supportive the community is here. I apologize, I didn't see my new notifications. I'm doing some fiddling with where I want my forum to be on my site tonight, we'll see what happens in the next 48HRS. I'm not a coder. When I break stuff, I break stuff good. ;-)

• If you're not a coder, can you help with the Wiki?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

I am almost close to working with the quotedmentionuserimagerecongnition plugin, it is in beta testing as we speak hope you still want what not even the hosted version offers :)

@ne1upne1up

PS

I am not a coder either ;) but I play one on TV lol

I think code is an entity like a benevolent or malevolent virus, it gets you hooked and then you become slave to it.

• x00x00 MVP
    edited June 2013

@vrijvlinder said:
    I am almost close to working with the quotedmentionuserimagerecongnition plugin, it is in beta testing as we speak hope you still want what not even the hosted version offers :)

You could make a plugin that annotates a discussion with profile pics( such as adjacent to the comment), where mentions occur. The simplest way would be with javascript.

grep is your friend.