Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

What's your Opinion On Jumping To Last Comment?

AdrianAdrian Wandering SpiritMontreal MVP
edited June 2013 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

By default users jump to the last comment. I know you can turn it off using the following:

$Configuration['Vanilla']['Comments']['AutoOffset'] = FALSE;

My question is more to understand what other forum owners do. I am on the fence. On one hand I like that it does jump to the end, but then my concern is maybe users might lose the gist of a thread. I know in some other forum software, the OP's post is at the top no matter what page you are. I am looking for thoughts based on your experience.

TL;DR What do you normally do, stay with the default or turn off the latest jump of a comment?

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

I plug with the pagenavigator plugin in unembedded sites and let the forum users choose between three: first, ultimate last, and last unread comment..

vanilla 2.1 and 2.2 have the option available by clicking on date in the table layout view.

I prefer last if that is the only thing available, since if you are not logged in you will aways go to first, and if you are logged in you will always go to the first unread comment.

IT only jumps to the end if you read all the comments, so it is a moot point.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP

@peregrine Thanks for pointing me to the pagenavigator plugin.

• Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited June 2013

@todd and @peregrine thank you. I did not realize that fact. I should have realized. Oh well I guess I learnt something new so it can't be that bad :)