Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla Porter Fails import

2»

Comments

• I think your roles and members still needs work if you click on various users.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• I hope I got Smarty cleared up.

It looks like the majority of users have zero permissions what so ever.

• Can I bulk edit that from Dashboard or do I have to dig into the tables?

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@LucasKA said:
    Can I bulk edit that from Dashboard or do I have to dig into the tables?

your choice. I find it easier to just use a sql statement.

make sure you have a good permissions table (with standard roles at the minimum).

then you make sure you have an admin status and set everyone but "you - admin id" to a member, then do the fine tuning via dashboard.

there are some discussions on userroles and permissions table.

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19699/documentation-users-have-been-orphaned-how-do-i-auto-add-them-all-to-a-role#Item_2

http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/168288#Comment_168288

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• @LucasKA

When you get it all squared away, you should write up a synopsis of the pagoda install and the exact way to do some tunneling to the correct port.

You could post the synopsis on the forum as well as the wiki.

• @peregrine I will do that for sure, it's not all that difficult, but kinda funky.

I cant seem to figure Out what SQL statement I need to run. I need to set every users Role, but mine, to 19.

Hell, if I could set ALL of them to 19 in one statement, I could set mine to Administrator manually.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013
    'UPDATE `GDN_UserRole` SET `RoleID` = '19' WHERE `GDN_UserRole`.`UserID` <>  "put your user number in here" 

backup before you try it.

but I would set every user to role 8 and make sure role is member role. - that is the defacto standard.

make user your permissions for role 8 (member) are what you want.

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

these are the roles you want to be standard

2    Guest   Guests can only view content. Anyone browsing the ...   1   0   0
        3   Unconfirmed     Users must confirm their emails before becoming fu...   2   1   1
        4   Applicant   Users who have applied for membership, but have no...   3   0   1
        8   Member  Members can participate in discussions.     4   1   1
         16     Administrator   Administrators have permission to do anything.  6   1   1
        32  Moderator   Moderators have permission to edit most content.    5   1   1

• I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Thanks, but something got borked/changed in the transfer, and those RoleID numbers do not match what I have going on.

1 Administrator
    2 Moderator
    9 Member
    16 Guest
    17 Banned
    18 Confirm Email
    19 User

If I change those numbers in the SQL table, will they propagate, relationally? I wouldn't mind having the default permissions set up.

• The best thing you do is install a second local installation.

1) create a new vanilla installation locally without porter.

2) back up the permissions and role tables.

3) then export those over to migrated porter database.

4) then adjust userrole table of migrated database with sql statements.

then you would have a nice clean permissions and role table that is standard with everything else. You'll be much happier in the long run, or you will continually fight roles and permissions the porter seems to screw up.

• Done. (I had a fresh Vanilla DB on my local machine :D)

• @peregrine you've helped me out more than I deserve. Thanks a ton. I'd like to send you a donation if you give me a paypal or venue to do so.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

@LucasKA

download the new peregrine plugin forumdonate, it has a button that works in the settings page :)

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited June 2013

@LucasKA said:
    peregrine you've helped me out more than I deserve. Thanks a ton. I'd like to send you a donation if you give me a paypal or venue to do so.

Thx. @LucasKA. always appreciate a donation.

• @peregrine I just installed Vanilla Forums for the first time had the same problem... this did the trick! Thanks!

• peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited November 2013

@Lance808 said:
    peregrine I just installed Vanilla Forums for the first time had the same problem... this did the trick! Thanks!

No problem. glad it worked.

After re-reading this discussion, it reminded me of people who said they were going to send donations, but haven't got around to it yet :) BTW, if people do send donations, if you want to include screenname when sending donation, I can post a message to you about receipt.