Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Global change of background from white to textured?

I did a search and didn't find the answer ... which, of course, doesn't mean it's not there ...

If I want to change the default "white" background (across every page in the Forum) to something textured do go here applications/dashboard/design/style.css and change Line 46 background: white; to something else?

What would I change it to, please?

On my personal Web site I use: bibleseven.com/b7-images/whitepapertexture.gif

Comments

• Options
    peregrineperegrine MVP
    edited July 2013

look in announcements. - related to themes.

you probably shouldn't change style.css is the short answer, it's not good form.

look for annotated plugin by @whu606

you can find people's plugins by clicking on their name and clicking addons on left menu.

and don't change your style.css. (use custom.css) search for forum questions relating to how to add or change custom.css read theme documentation.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

I advise you to use a custom theme and not edit anything in the dashboard/design

trust me on this you will end up having to do it anyway, so save yourself the trouble and download some themes and play with those , if you are not satisfied by any of them, then make your own custom theme.

Just look at the files that themes contain and duplicate them and edit those, this goes for the default theme as well.

You can make a new theme call it what you want and make it like you want much easier than editing the master style.Then it will ruin it for other themes you might use and need to edit over and over, then when you update, lose everything.

Please try to follow this advise it is by far the best advise I can give anyone when it comes to themes :)

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    I advise you to use a custom theme and not edit anything in the dashboard/design

trust me on this you will end up having to do it anyway, so save yourself the trouble and download some themes and play with those , if you are not satisfied by any of them, then make your own custom theme.

Just look at the files that themes contain and duplicate them and edit those, this goes for the default theme as well.

You can make a new theme call it what you want and make it like you want much easier than editing the master style.Then it will ruin it for other themes you might use and need to edit over and over, then when you update, lose everything.

Please try to follow this advise it is by far the best advise I can give anyone when it comes to themes :)

you said what I said, only much better :).

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

yea we posted at the same time lol

• Options

Y'alls spoiling my fun ... if I'm good at anything it's breaking code!
    I've downloaded Annotated_CSS 2.03.1 and will see what I can learn ...
    Thanks!

• Options

I don't see Annotated_CSS 2.03.1 in Plugins - is it not compatible?

• Options

You know, if this coffee were a bit stronger I might be able to read with comprehension ...

This addon is a theme. You need to extract it to your /themes folder to install it.

Silly me ... sigh.

• Options

you will see it in themes :).

you install it in themes folder not plugins. I probably should have said you whu606's addon

http://vanillaforums.org/addon/annotated_css-theme

not whu606's plugin.

Addons can be themes , applicantions and plugins.

if you wonder what you've got - something with about.php in folder is usually a theme or an application.

• Options

Way cool! Good fun! Now I'm really going to get into some design style css trouble ... :-)

• Options

here is a link for the other resource you may want to look at
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/19915/deploying-a-new-forum-and-adding-a-theme-for-everyone#latest

as well as the theme documentation on the wiki and on the docs page.

• Options

@peregrine said:
    Addons can be themes , applicantions and plugins.

if you wonder what you've got - something with about.php in folder is usually a theme or an application.

Thanks, that helps ... reading vs glancing/scanning helps as well ...

• Options

• Options

Thanks - jquery looks interesting ... I really need to get my new CS/IT college student son into this - he needs to master this far more so than do I! I enjoy it but he needs to find a way to make a living with it.